Commercial Development Leader, US
- Organization Type
ResponsibilitiesDescribe the essential daily job functions and include % of time spent on each.
% of Time
Job Function and Description
80Provide strategic and tactical commercial and market input into mid to late-stage Spark programs via asset teams, lifecycle teams (LCTs), iSquads, brand strategy teams (BSTs), and US commercial squads. Develop global asset transition (to phase 3) plans and subsequent US focused launch plans. Deliver annual tactical and 5-year strategic plans as part of the Spark US budgeting process. Develop and implement the strategies and tactics needed to successfully develop and prepare the US marketplace for Spark’s innovative gene therapies. The various activities / responsibilities in scope are as follows:
Provide commercial and disease area expertise, leadership, and input on asset teams, BST’s, LCT’s, transition teams, iSquads, or US Squads; depending on the stage of the asset.
Lead the development and validation of target product profiles, product positioning, prepare market assessments and drive a deep understanding of the patient and patient journey.
- Assess, make recommendations, and lead the development of capabilities required as the asset progresses to launch. This includes: field based teams and structure, patient support teams, payer teams, channel management, marketing teams, and the infrastructure to support and enable the entire US team. Lead research with physicians (with Clinical Development and/or Medical Affairs), payers and patients (with Patient Advocacy Group) to address other questions impacting the program and key decisions. Develop, assess and update commercial forecasts and sensitivity analyses for internal and potential new business opportunities. Provide competitive intelligence informing clinical program design, market development activities, messaging, and pre-launch/launch plans. Develop product positioning, differentiation, and commercialization tactics that will result in success in the marketplace. Work with HEOR, Market Access, and US Payer group to drive payer and health authority interactions and to develop the payer value proposition. Develop business case for life-cycle management opportunities. Lead the US commercialization planning process that integrates marketing, market access, patient advocacy and medical. Partner with relevant Roche and Genentech in-market, TA, and global teams to source input/expertise, provide guidance into global brand strategy, and prepare the US market for launch. Lead IDCP (integrated development and commercial plan) process and transition activities in preparation for phase 3 stage gate decision.
- Represent Spark in developing and maintaining strong relationships with key opinion leaders, customers including providers, payers, patients, industry associations, and other constituencies.
- Assess, make recommendations, and lead the development of other capabilities required as the organization evolves (e.g. digital, marketing excellence, innovative solutions, salesforce excellence). Ensure multi-year focus for each brand and build strategic roadmap including life-cycle management, and portfolio/franchise strategy.
- Understand and anticipate relevant market trends (macro, economic, political, payer) impacting the industry, gene therapy, and company strategy. Actively identify risks and opportunities, develop appropriate action plans and communicate effectively across the organization. Engage as a key member of the Commercial team; driving and shaping strategies, P&L management, culture, people development and global execution.
20Lead disease area cross-functional strategic initiatives, other strategic initiatives, and present recommendations to leadership Team. Lead, develop and ensure the execution of congress activities for pipeline assets and participate in interchange meetings with Global/Regional Commercial, Medical and R&D colleagues from Roche, Genentech, and Spark. Partner with Corporate Communications, Medical, Patient Advocacy and R&D to develop and implement disease area and asset communication strategy and plan. Perform line management activities for direct reports including regular 1:1s, performance management activities and development plans. Requirements
- BS/BA required; Advanced degree (MBA) or relevant healthcare degree preferred
- Minimum 12+ years healthcare or life science industry experience required; with at least 5+ years of experience in US in-line commercial
- Significant US experience in Rare Disease required. Significant US experience in Hemophilia, specifically focused on HCP and HTC relationship management, strongly preferred.
- Must have demonstrated experience in:
- Building and nurturing relationships with KOLs, community HCPs, nurses, home health care, and other key stakeholders
- Building, developing, leading customer facing teams in competitive, Rare Disease markets in the US
- Applying deep market, patient, and stakeholder knowledge to develop, improve, or position products
- Working with a cross functional team to develop product marketing claims, payer value propositions, and disease area (non-branded) messaging
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Spark Therapeutics does not accept unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles from any source other than directly from candidates. Any unsolicited resume/candidate profile submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Spark Therapeutics are considered property of Spark Therapeutics and are not subject to payment of agency fees.
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.
Learn more about Spark Therapeutics and view other openings.