To strengthen our team in the division “Tanks for Dangerous Goods and Accident Mechanics” in Berlin-Steglitz/Adlershof, starting as soon as possible, we are looking for a
Research assistant (m/f/d) in the field of mechanical engineering, physical engineering, process engineering or comparable
Salary group 13 TVöD
Temporary contract until 31.12.2026
Full-time/suitable as part-time employment
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
Scientific assistance and support in the organization and implementation of the NICOLHy research project, which aims to develop a novel thermal insulation concept for the economical and energetic efficient storage of liquid hydrogen:
- Planning, installation, execution and evaluation of experiments for the quantification of thermal insulation materials suitable for tanks for the storage of liquid hydrogen
- Carrying out parameter studies to investigate and validate numerical models
- Support in the design process
- Supporting the safety assessment of novel and established thermal insulation concepts, e. g. in experiments with fire
- Evaluation, documentation and reporting of the results
- Evaluation of testing and legal regulations for their safety-related effectiveness and, if necessary, development or further development of standards
- Cooperation with European partners from research and industry
- Presentation and publication of results in industry-specific and scientific journals and at national and international conferences
- Possibility of a doctorate
- University degree (diploma/master's degree) in mechanical engineering, physical engineering, process engineering or similar
- First experience in the planning and execution of experiments as well as in the construction of test rigs/equipment
- First experience in the field of thermodynamics
- Interest in theoretical, practical and manual work at the BAM site Berlin-Steglitz, and the BAM Technical Safety Test Site (TTS) in Horstwalde
- Very good level of English and good level of German (written and spoken)
- Goal-oriented and structured way of working, initiative/commitment and ability to make decisions, ability to work in a team and willingness to cooperate as well as willingness to learn
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and mobile working
We welcome applications via the online application form by 04.01.2024. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 280/23‑3.2 to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung
Referat Z.3 – Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Mr. Eberwein will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104‑4764 and/or by email to Robert.Eberwein@bam.de.
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfilment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognised severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a high or low of physical aptitude.
BAM actively supports the compatibility of work and family and has been certified as a family- and life-phase-conscious employer by the "audit berufundfamilie" since 2015.