The Wechsler-Reya lab is looking for a qualified and enthusiastic individual to work in a translational neuro-oncology research lab at Columbia University Medical Center. The goal of our research is to develop personalized therapies for children with brain tumors. For more information about the lab, please see www.wechsler-reya.org.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinating with oncologists, surgeons and pathologists to obtain tissue from surgery
- Processing tissue for molecular and cellular analysis, including sequencing, immunostaining, flow cytometry and high-throughput drug screening
- Working with computational biologists to analyze data and identify biomarkers of drug responsiveness
- Compiling data from the above studies and sharing it with a molecular tumor board to inform therapy
- Generating orthotopic patient-derived xenograft models that can be used for preclinical studies
- Maintaining databases of all xenograft models, and overseeing sharing of these models with other labs and institutions
- Using xenograft models to evaluate targeted therapy and immunotherapy
- Training and supervising new lab members in the above techniques
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences and at least 4 years of research experience are required.
- Previous experience in neuroscience, developmental biology and/or cancer biology is helpful.
- Experience working with research animals, especially small animal surgery, is essential.
- Individual must be highly motivated, organized, and work well with others.