For our location in Hamburg we are seeking:
Postdoctoral research scientist for the European XFEL virtual diagnostics project Limited: 2 years | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: MPO008/2023 | Deadline: 01.01.2024 | Full-time/Part-time | Remote work possible
DESY, with more than 3000 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world's leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The European XFEL is a user facility that delivers X-ray photon beams with a wide range of spectral and temporal properties. Achieving optimal performance necessitates precise control of various electron beam parameters which in turn requires appropriate online diagnostics. To address this need, we have initiated the "Virtual Diagnostics" project. This project aims to predict electron beam parameters using a combination of diagnostics, theoretical accelerator models, and machine learning (ML) methods as well as the creation of a mixed diagnostic which incorporates several existing diagnostics into a novel longitudinal diagnostic. We are looking for two people to support these two sub-projects.
About your role:
- Responsible for development and implementation of machine learning (ML) surrogate models for the European XFEL accelerator facility
- Contribute to the enhancement of the theoretical accelerator model for the European XFEL accelerator
- Systematically study beam dynamics to identify areas where the model can be improved and discrepancies with measurements can be resolved
- Implement and deploy a mixed diagnostic device which gives online feedback to the machine operation crew
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of physicists, and data scientists to achieve project goals
- Share insights and results through presentations, reports and publications
- PhD in physics, computer science or related field, strong background in accelerator physics or ML is desired
- Experience in numerical modelling and simulations
- Knowledge of accelerator design and simulation tools are a plus
- Proficiency in programming languages and frameworks commonly used in machine learning
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to interpret experimental results, identify discrepancies with theoretical models, and propose improvements
- Good knowledge of English, both written and oral
Good reasons to join:
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. Respectful cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees are particularly important to us. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time, job-sharing models and participation in mobile work (up to 50 %). You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public funded employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV‑AVH. DESY offers its employees a financial supplement for a German job ticket at both locations.
For further information please contact Sergey Tomin at +49 40 8998‑2623 (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Marc Guetg +49 40 8998‑4346 (email@example.com).
Please submit your complete application documents (letter of motivation, CV and relevant certificates).
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal:
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position.
Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392