Electron and Light Microscopy Specialist
What We're Looking For
The candidate will mainly be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Cryo-TEM (including single particle Cryo-TEM, EELS, Micro ED) and will also be involved in the operation and maintenance of the different electron and light microscopes in the Center for Microscopy and Imaging (CMI) at Baylor University. The Electron and Light Microscopy Specialist will train users on the individual microscopes and related techniques. The Electron and Light Microscopy Specialist will assist and support students, faculty and staff with basic and advanced sample preparation of biological and material samples for light and (cryo)-electron microscopy. The specialist will keep records of usage and chemicals in the lab and will also be responsible for waste management, ordering supplies and chemicals.
The CMI at Baylor University facilitates easy-to-use and automated microscopes and equipment for sample preparation for light and electron microscopy. Most equipment in the CMI is covered under a service contract. Visit the following webpage to obtain further information on the instrumentation available at the CMI: http://www.baylor.edu/bsb/cmi
A Master's Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Engineering or related field, up to three years of relevant work experience, and a Christian faith are required.
A Doctoral Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Engineering or related field, five years of relevant work experience are preferred.
Preferred experience in light, electron and atomic force microscopy; microscopy facility/laboratory experience and knowledge of sample preparation for light and electron microscopy; experiences in Cryo-EM.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.What You Will Do
What You Can Expect
- Operation and maintenance of the cryo-transmission electron microscope (single particle Cryo-TEM, EELS, Micro ED) and related techniques.
- Operation and maintenance of the scanning electron, atomic force, and light microscopes.
- Basic sample preparation of biological samples for transmission electron, scanning electron, and confocal laser scanning microscopy (e.g. fixation, dehydration, embedding in resin, critical point drying, sputter coating, histochemical labeling of proteins, negative staining etc.).
- Advanced sample preparation of biological samples such as high pressure freezing, plunge freezing, freeze substitution, and Cryo-TEM including sample preparation for single particle analysis.
- Trimming and sectioning of biological material with Cryo-microtome, Vibratome, Ultramicrotome.
- Grinding, polishing, and milling (FIB-SEM) of material samples for TEM and SEM.
- Training of users on the individual microscopes and equipment.
- Administration of usage records through facility software (FOM).
- Review and revise technical standard operating procedures and forms.
- Conduct work in compliance to standard operating procedures and the mission of Baylor University.
- Ordering chemicals and supplies.
- Waste management.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- All duties and responsibilities will be performed under the supervision of the director of the CMI.
As part of the Baylor family, eligible employees receive a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, generous time off, tuition remission, and outstanding automatic retirement contributions. Baylor has a comprehensive benefits plan that supports you and your family's wellbeing and allows you to be a part of the life of a vibrant and active college campus. To learn more, go to Baylor Benefits & Advantages.Explore & Engage
Learn more about Baylor
and our strategic vision, Illuminate
. Also, explore our great hometown of Waco
and the many opportunities to engage locally.
If you are new to Central Texas, This is Waco!
Baylor University is a private not-for-profit university affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, Baylor is committed to compliance with all applicable anti-discrimination laws, including those regarding age, race, color, sex, national origin, military service, genetic information, and disability. Baylors commitment to equal opportunity and respect of others does not undermine the validity and effect of the constitutional and statutory protections for its religious liberty, including, without limitation, the religious organization exemption under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the religious exemption to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, among others.
Baylor encourages women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply. EEO/M/F/Vets/Disabled
To apply, visit https://ejof.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/BaylorCareers/job/15246
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency