The Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) has postdoctoral positions are available immediately in the area of pulmonary biology.
The candidate will participate in various research activities including (a) investigations on the role of proteases in cardiopulmonary injury caused by toxic inhaled substances and (b) evaluation of the mechanisms of environmental factors and chemical-induced lung injury. The candidate will perform (i) animal handling, husbandry and restraint, as well as minor survival surgeries in rats and mice, and intratracheal and intravenous drug administration and sample collection, as well as necropsy, (ii) standard molecular techniques and biological assays, ELISAs, including molecular cloning, PCR, RealTime PCR, RNA and DNA isolations and western blots, (iii) cell culture techniques and transfections, (iv) pulmonary function tests and hemodynamic measurements, (v) lung morphometric techniques and (vi) and cell and animal imaging.
A Ph.D. in Biological Sciences or a related discipline is required. The candidate should have experience with (i) animal handling, husbandry and restraint, and skills related to surgeries in rats and mice, (ii) standard molecular techniques, including molecular cloning, PCR, RealTime PCR, RNA and DNA isolations and western blots, (iii) cell culture techniques and transfections, (iv) pulmonary function tests and hemodynamic measurements, (v) lung morphometric techniques and (vi) knowledge of cell and animal imaging. The ability to work independently and as part of a team and strong verbal and written communication skills are essential. The candidate is also expected to design experiments and write manuscripts. May teach techniques to others as well as train and supervise research staff and manage day to day lab duties.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, perform, and analyze experiments related to existing projects
- Maintain detailed records of studies conducted, organize data, and prepare data for manuscript submissions and presentations
- Prepare technical reports and develop recommendations based upon research outcomes
- Conduct cell culture, biochemical assays, and mouse and rat studies
- Conduct literature searches to find and report on related research
- Work well independently and within a team setting
- A Ph.D. in Biological Sciences
- Strong experience with cellular/molecular biology techniques/assays
- High level scientific writing and organizational skills
- Demonstrate a track-record of ability to drive projects
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Integrity, perseverance, and flexibility
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems
- Ability to effectively communicate
Please send applications to Dr. Shama Ahmad at email@example.com