Be a part of the RKI DNA!
As Germany's most important public health institute, we are actively committed to public health. At the Robert Koch Institute, 1,500 people from over 52 nations work and research together on this every day.
Our team at the “Centre for Artificial Intelligence in Public Health Research” is looking forward to your application!
The new “Centre for Artificial Intelligence in Public Health Research” (ZKI‑PH) offers a unique working and research environment: with innovative methods, an international team and state-of-the-art equipment, we are committed to the health of the population.
For legal reasons, the specific duration of each individual contract (maximum 5 years) is based on the individual availability of time within the meaning of § 2 (1) of the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz (WissZeitVG).
Successful applicants will be offered a fixed-term, public sector employment contract (according to TVöD Bund) of initially up to 5 years duration. Subject to satisfactory performance at the career-track evaluation towards the end of the fixed-term contract, the position will be converted to a continuing (permanent) position. Depending on your qualifications and experience, you may then be offered a continuing civil servant position up to grade B1, or permanent employment up to pay grade E 15 TVöD. The career-track evaluation will be conducted according to well-defined criteria by an expert panel comprising internal and external experts.
We aim to increase the representation of women in leadership positions and therefore particularly welcome applications from qualified women.
Research Group Leader (Career Track)
Artificial Intelligence – Fundamentals (all genders)
Start date: immediately
Contract type: Fixed-term, max. 5 years
Remuneration: Up to E 15 TVöD
Reference number: 1049167 | 207/23
Set-up and management of the new research group "AI Fundamentals", in particular:
- Assemble own team to fulfil statutory tasks duties of a departmental research organisation, incl.
- Strategic management of technology development for the use of artificial intelligence (AI) in the public health sector.
- Development of methodological foundations for AI-supported applications
- Development of analytical methods for the investigation of methodological challenges in AI models and the quality assurance of these models for use in medicine, society and public health
- Exploration of ethical aspects in the use and application of AI methods.
- Support the professional development of scientific staff
- Collaborate across disciplines and departments within the RKI to combine and augment the RKI’s traditional expertise in the research of infectious and non-communicable diseases with and/or by artificial intelligence methods
Conduct world-class scientific research in the field of Artificial Intelligence for Public Health, in particular:
- Independently manage research projects at the interface of AI, medicine and bioinformatics for the benefit of public health
- Manage and integrate data, develop novel algorithms/methods, and provide quality assurance for this work
- Coordinate above-mentioned research projects and support the acquisition of third-party funding
- Prepare high-impact factor scientific publications as well as project and research reports
Provide scientific support during the establishment of a federal networked research data infrastructure
- Cooperate closely with the Federal Ministry of Health and other federal authorities within its remit, in particular the Health Data lab at the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices (BfArM)
- Contribute to national and international bodies/panels which regulate data availability and AI applications in the health sector
- Provide scientific support for the development of the Health Data Space at national and European level
Your professional profile Formal requirements
- A completed scientific university degree (master's degree or state examination) and PhD in a relevant (information) technical, scientific, medical, public health field or similar
In the case of foreign educational qualifications, we require a certificate of equivalence with a German qualification.
Skills and experience
- Extensive research experience in artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning and deep learning either within industry or within academia
- Extensive knowledge of and well-established working experience in the common programming languages
- Experience in quantitative data analysis and in handling complex bodies of data
- Highly developed skills in scientific publishing as well as the presentation of research results
- Extensive experience in the coordination/management of research projects
- Language skills (CEFR-Level): English at least C1, German at least A2 or willingness to acquire further German/English skills – we support you with language courses
Desirable skills and experience
- Several years of professional work experience within the field of AI as well as initial management experience
- Knowledge of or experience in public health research
- Experience in presenting complex (scientific) topics in an understandable way
- Knowledge and experience in acquiring third-party funding
- Your ability to acquire new knowledge quickly as well as your commitment to live-long learning
- Your willingness to innovate and your open approach to new developments
- Your independence and your self-reliant way of working; characterised by a high degree of initiative and sense of responsibility
- Your ability to cooperate and work within a team to achieve shared goals
- Your service mentality and your ability to adapt to the needs of others
- Your reliability and your timely, high-quality approach to work
- Your goal-oriented management/leadership style and your proficiency in achieving said goals by deriving appropriate measures from the Institute’s overall objectives
- Your ability to motivate staff by providing constructive and regular feedback and radiating trust and confidence in the abilities of your staff
- List of publications as well as a list of previous/on-going third-party funded projects with funding details
- Outline of a 5-year plan for the planned own research at the ZKI‑PH as well as plans on how to finance this
- Willingness to participate in and successfully complete an extended security clearance in accordance with § 9 of the Security Clearance Act (Sicherheitsüberprüfungsgesetz, SÜG)
- 30 working days holiday and days off on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve
- Up to 50 % remote working possible
- Transparent payment in accordance with the collective agreement incl. annual special payment and regular pay increases
- Flexible working hours with flexitime and part-time working options
- Opportunities for individual further training and a broad training catalogue for personal development
- Parent-child offices in all properties for emergency care
- Deutschlandticket-Job with subsidy
Have we sparked your interest?
We look forward to receiving your detailed application documents for ID 1049167 / reference number 207/23 by 07.01.2024 exclusively via www.interamt.de.
Get started now
Apply directly through the public service employment portal at: www.interamt.de
Apply now interamt.de
We are committed to equal opportunities in employment. We guarantee equality in the workplace by welcoming all people in all dimensions of diversity. With equal qualifications and aptitude, severely disabled persons are given preferential consideration.
Within the scope of its supervisory powers, the Federal Ministry of Health may examine application documents on a case-by-case basis. Your data will be deleted after the application process has been completed.