A full-time position is available immediately in the Jankowsky Lab at the BCM Department of Neuroscience. The Jankowsky laboratory studies neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer's and frontotemporal dementia using genetically altered mouse models to understand the cause of disease and test new treatments. We are looking for a smart and dedicated research assistant to support animal colony management and general lab duties. Responsibilities of this position are split between the laboratory and the mouse room. Laboratory responsibilities include PCR genotyping, tissue harvest, supply maintenance, and general laboratory organization. Vivarium responsibilities include breeding, weaning, toe biopsies, record keeping, and communication with vivarium staff. The best candidates will have excellent organizational skills and a basic understanding of neuroscience; in return, we will provide training in any needed techniques and offer a supportive working environment.
To learn more about the Joanna Jankowsky Lab, please visit: https://www.bcm.edu/research/labs-and-centers/faculty-labs/joanna-jankowsky-lab Job Duties
- Perform ongoing experimental work such as data analysis, tissue histology, or other tasks as needed.
- Responsible for mouse husbandry including breeding, weaning, euthanasia as needed to maintain multiple mouse strains.
- Coordinate with lab members to match animal production to experimental needs.
- Organize and perform weekly toe biopsies to obtain material for genotyping.
- Conduct weekly PCR genotyping of offspring from the lab production colony.
- Ensure the lab maintains accurate biopsy, breeding, and genotyping records.
- Interface with vivarium staff to ensure special care requirements are met.
- Oversee lab management, including inventory, ordering (Fastcard, Punchout, and POs), receiving, and equipment upkeep.
- Train new lab members in lab practices, animal husbandry and record keeping, and genotyping
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Two years of relevant experience.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.