Approximately 1 billion people suffer from neurological disorders including Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases. The Neuroscience department at the Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (NIBR) has a mission to alleviate patients’ suffering by developing transformative medicines for central nervous system (CNS) diseases. We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist to join the Neuroscience Targets and Technologies unit to help develop human neuroinflammation models and aid in target discovery and validation for a broad range of CNS disorders. You will be joining an innovative and multidisciplinary team encompassing stem cell scientists, genomics experts, and computational biologists. Your expertise and contributions in stem cell biology and complex cellular model development will allow us to test drug discovery hypotheses, identify patient phenotypes, and discover new targets.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Maintain cultures of human pluripotent stem cells (hPSCs)
• Differentiate hPSCs into CNS cell types such as neurons, astrocytes, and microglia and characterize the cells
• Develop disease-relevant neuroinflammation models (2D or 3D) to support drug discovery programs
• Execute and develop cellular and biochemical assays and employ gene editing technologies for cellular model characterization, target validation, and target discovery
• Analyze, interpret, and communicate scientific data with colleagues and project teams
• Track and register human cell lines, and thoroughly document experiments in an electronic lab notebook
• Ability to work on-site
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you will bring to the role:
• B.S. degree or equivalent in neuroscience, cell biology, biochemistry, or a similar discipline
• At least 2 years of industry or academic research experience
• 1+ years of experience in working with hPSCs (iPS / ES)
• Proficiency in molecular biology techniques such as RNA extraction, qRT-PCR, immunostaining, western blotting, PCR, and cloning
• Ability to work productively in a fast-paced environment, with excellent communication skills and a collaborative mindset
• M.S. degree in neuroscience, cell biology, biochemistry or similar discipline
• Experience in neural lineage differentiation protocols
• Experience in high-content imaging and analysis software (e.g. Harmony) or
in operating automated lab equipment and liquid handlers (e.g. BioTek or Hamilton systems)
Why consider Novartis?
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Join our Novartis Network:
If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here:
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $84,000 - $126,000; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/23 through 12/31/23, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.