The mission of The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation, and the world through outstanding programs that integrate patient care, research and prevention, and through education for undergraduate and graduate students, trainees, professionals, employees and the public.
The employee coordinates and conducts experiments and carries out research projects in varied areas of chemistry, biology, physics and other biomedical, dental or related basic science areas. Constructs, assembles and operates laboratory apparatus and equipment. Reads literature and confers with superiors regarding new procedures and modifies them according to the needs of the project. Records and evaluates data obtained in accordance with methods requested.
1. Exercises considerable imagination initiative and inventiveness in planning and executing the details of experiments, and in evaluating and interpreting the results. Measure optical density by spectrophotometer and calculate sample concentrations.
2. Coordinates and conducts experiments and carries out research projects in varied areas of chemistry, biology, physics and other biomedical, dental or related basic science areas.
3. Reads literature and confer with superiors regarding new procedures and modifies them according to the needs of the projects. Records and evaluates data obtained in accordance with method requested.
4. Maintain meticulous records of experimental data and protocols. Enters data from handwritten records to computer via Excel or similar software to analyze data and to provide data graph.
5. Visually measure amount of DNA, RNA present in tissue/cells. Conducts routine tissue culture which involves manipulation and pipetting of solution. Prepare cell culture media and solutions by visually measuring the ingredients.
6. Operate equipment such as centrifuge, pH meters, spectrophotometers and film developers.
7. Reports problem and/or possible problems with the operation of equipment to the laboratory manager and/or faculty in laboratory. Demonstrate and practice laboratory safety precautions. Ensures that the laboratory is prepared for inspection, which involves cleaning, labeling chemicals, stacking and unpacking supplies. Maintain laboratory inventory of supplies.
8. Organize all refrigerators and freezers, including defrosting and cleaning. Aliquot supplements for tissue culture including keeping track of media. Responsible for maintenance and ordering of core media. Involve the growing, counting freezing of cell lines and accurate record keeping of those cells.
9. Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Master's degree with major course work in one of the basic sciences, natural sciences, or related field.
Five years of experience in scientific or experimental research work. With preferred degree, three years of required experience.
Science background, mice handling experience, molecular biology skills including CRISPR/Cas9 or stable transfection, cell culture skills, and excellent communication skills.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html