Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is an emerging research University that acts as a catalyst for transformative change in Qatar and the region while having a global impact.
The College of Health and Life Sciences (CHLS) within HBKU aims to deliver innovative programs that meet educational needs in the fields of health and life sciences for Qatar and the region.
CHLS invites applications for the Fathy Saoud Chair Professor of Biological Sciences position. The Chair has been named in honor of Professor Fathy Saoud, QF’s former president, for his role and contributions to the Foundation and its development, who passed away in January 2022.
Scholars with an outstanding record in neuroscience/ behavioral and/or neurological disorders are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will be expected to have the vision, leadership experience and enthusiasm to build on current strengths in maintaining and developing a leading research presence and to train graduate and post-doctorate professionals in the newly approved Biopsychology & Neuroscience program.
The CHLS is well-positioned to undergo growth. The University and the College offer good opportunities for professional enrichment and personal fulfillment. Research is enhanced within the HBKU by a highly collaborative environment at CHLS and with the research institutes (QBRI, QCRI), as well as with partner universities within Qatar Foundation.
Job role description
• The role requires significant leadership/management contributions, within the College and beyond
• The chair holder is expected to deliver a consistent and high caliber research productivity.
• The chair holder continues to teach and supervise graduate students.
• The chair holder is expected to consistently act as a good citizen and role model.
• The chair holder is expected to participate and lead in administrative duties that influence the College’s output and direction strategies.
• The chair holder is expected to make a wider contribution to the success of the University through university committees and involvement in community professional activities.
- Ph.D. in Biological Sciences / MD-PhD in related fields
- Substantial experience (10-12 years), leadership and reputation in research and teaching within neuroscience or mental health
- Strong international reputation based on an extensive track record of research with significant contribution to the discipline through professional service
- Evidence of consistent extramural funding
- Evidence of substantial experience of successful contribution to the development of young investigators
- Ability to lead and motivate research staff (lab manager, assistant, postdocs)
- Evidence of substantial experience in graduate education, formal classroom teaching and program development
- Good knowledge of academic policies, procedures, and ethical issues
How to Apply
Please submit your complete application (CV, cover letter, research statement, teaching statement and names of three references with their full contact information) through the "Apply" button.
Applications will be reviewed immediately and continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an accommodation allowance, annual paid leave, and medical insurance.
Hamad Bin Khalifa University is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We are committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.