Location: Munich or Nuremberg, Germany
We are establishing an expert center for Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) in clinical research.
Collaborating closely with various scientists across departments, as well as medical experts, the team is passionate about accelerating patients’ access to optimized treatment strategies. Towards this ambition, we are driving high-impact medical AI/ML projects within the realms of (i) Precision Medicine, (ii) Real World Evidence, Implementation Science & Population Health, and (iii), Next Generation Clinical Trial Designs.
The successful candidate will develop and apply novel AI/ML models, leveraging massive internal and external clinical datasets. The role encompasses working on internal pipeline projects as well as publishing findings in high-impact scientific journals.
Your area of responsibility:
Your responsibilities will include:
1) (Co-)design and execute a medical research program that regularly publishes in top-tier AI/ML and medical venues.
2) Over time, develop into an externally recognized leader in the AI/ML community
3) Conceive and lead collaborations on AI/ML research, both internally and externally.
4) In close collaboration with medical experts, translate medical questions into mathematical problems to be solved
5) Design, and execute AI/ML solutions with a focus (but not limited to) Natural Language Processing (NLP)
6) Visualize, present and discuss results with medical experts
7) Maintain expertise at the forefront of multiple areas in AI/ML
8) Direct and support publications in high quality scientific, technical, and medical journals
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse team’s representative of the patients and communities we serve.
What you bring to the position:
• PhD or equivalent experience in AI/ML, or a related quantitative field (e.g., Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Computational Biology/Chemistry)
• English: fluent spoken and written
• German: Fluent spoken and written (preferred)
• Minimum of 1-year post-PhD experience, with a demonstrated scientific leadership in foundational AI/ML research and/or applied AI/ML in an academic and/or an industry setting
• Excellent knowledge of AI and ML fundamentals
• Demonstrated strong experience in Natural Language Processing
• Interest in representation learning, generative modeling, reinforcement learning, computer vision, natural language processing, statistical learning theory, statistics, and/or causal inference
• Fluency with Python and data analysis using modern frameworks for deep learning (e.g., Pytorch, TensorFlow-Keras)
• Intimate hands-on know-how on building and training neural networks - keen to build unconventional models, a knack for getting things to work. Experience with AI on longitudinal data is desired but not necessary
• Experience in probabilistic programming and related frameworks (desired)
• Record of scientific leadership and experience, as evidenced by at least one high-impact first author publication in a scientific journal, or equivalent
• Record of machine learning research publications and experience contributing to research communities (e.g., including conferences like NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, etc.)
• Public portfolio of computational projects (available on e.g., GitHub)
• Intense curiosity about the biology of disease, clinical drug development and eagerness to contribute to scientific and computational efforts
• Self-starter with the ability to build relationships, collaborate and influence across a multifunctional matrix organization
• Demonstrated experience in successfully working within and multi-disciplinary and cross-functional teams successfully
• Well-developed interpersonal skills, ability to successfully interact with and influence a wide range of people, building strong positive relationships
• Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
Our resolution is to reshape medicine to improve and prolong human lives. Our vision is to become the most valuable and trusted pharmaceutical company in the world. How we will achieve this? With our employees. It's our people who drive us every day to achieve our goals. Become part of this mission and this great team!
Learn more here: https://www.novartis.com/about/strategy/people-and-culture
What we offer:
All information can be found in our Novartis Life Handbook: https://www.novartis.com/careers/benefits-rewards . You may contact your Talent Acquisition Business Partner for further details.
Commitment to diversity and inclusion:
Novartis is committed to diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We strive to build diverse teams that are representative of the patients and communities we serve. We strive to create an inclusive workplace that fosters bold innovation through collaboration and enables our associates to reach their full potential.
Our hiring decisions are based on equal opportunity and the best qualifications, regardless of gender, religion, age, color, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability.
Supports for applicants with disabilities:
The law provides for the possibility of involving the local SBV in the application process for severely disabled/equally qualified applicants. Should this correspond to your wish, please inform us in advance as a note in your resume.
Join our Novartis network:
If this position doesn't match your experience or career goals, but you still want to stay in touch to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: