Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.What You Will Achieve
As a Senior Scientist, you will be at the center of our operations and you'll find that everything we do, every day, is in line with an unwavering commitment to quality. You will be responsible for the development of process technology for the production of active pharmaceutical ingredients (API). From small scale synthesis in support of discovery programs, to the development of the commercial synthetic route, you will partner with manufacturing specialists for API synthesis and provide support for technology transfer to Pfizer manufacturing sites and third party facilities. Your innovative mindset will help us develop economical, efficient and safe active drug materials.
You will be recognized as a technical expert and a scientific contributor. With your deep knowledge of the discipline, you will be an active team member whose decisions impact the project. You will be using your scientific judgment to adapt standard methods and techniques by applying prior work experience. You will be forecasting and planning resource requirements for your project team. Your creativity in developing novel processes and new ideas will be used frequently. You will undertake mentoring activities to guide team members.
It is your innovative scientific temperament that will help in making Pfizer ready to achieve new milestones and help patients across the globe.What You Will Achieve
We are seeking a synthetic organic chemist to join the Process Chemistry group within Chemical Research and Development (CRD) in Groton. CRD, as part of Worldwide R&D in Pharmaceutical Sciences, is responsible for the development of process technology for the production of active pharmaceutical ingredients (API). CRD scientists engage in all facets of development from small scale synthesis in support of Discovery programs, to the development of the commercial synthetic route. CRD scientists' partner with manufacturing specialists for API synthesis in kilo-lab and pilot plant facilities, as well as provide support for technology transfer to Pfizer manufacturing sites and third-party facilities.
The successful candidate will design, enable and develop scalable processes to pharmaceutical drug candidates, applying innovative chemistries, new technologies and statistical experimental design approaches in a laboratory setting. The ability to work on and lead multi-disciplinary teams involving chemists, analysts, engineers, and technologists, and to represent CRD on cross-functional teams is essential.How You Will Achieve It
QUALIFICATIONS Must Have
- The successful candidate would propose and identify efficient and robust synthetic routes for the preparation of API's. This position requires laboratory experimentation, participation on API project team and work in collaboration with scientists from Analytical R&D and other disciplines such as engineering to further develop synthetic routes into synthetic processes. Interpretation of analytical data to drive synthetic experimental plans and ability to utilize electronic tools (such as electronic notebook) to document information. A desire to continue to develop and apply new skills is required. The successful candidate would also be responsible to participate in the preparation of technical transfer documents for manufacture internally or at third parties. Compliance on safety and regulatory requirements is expected and documented through our internal training program.
- The successful candidate would also participate in key initiatives for CRD and contribute to continuous improvement work in the department and advancement of the Process Chemistry discipline through technology, workflow or business impact.
Please include a research summary when submitting your formal application PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- PhD. in Organic Chemistry (or within 6 months of completing Ph.D. program).
- No industrial experience required.
- State of the art knowledge of modern synthetic methodology, including aspects of asymmetric synthesis, green chemistry, catalysis and physical organic chemistry as it relates to reaction mechanism is expected.
- The ability to employ analytical tools, computational and statistical methodology, and automated laboratory technologies to enhance process development efficiency is desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, the ability to effectively influence the work of others and a general knowledge of drug development and the pharmaceutical industry are key.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Laboratory work requiring standing.
- Working at a computer.
- Ability to use sound scientific judgment and analyze data to advance programs.
Other Job Details
- Travel is required on occasion in support of external manufacture or to participate in scientific conferences.
Last Date to Apply: July 31st, 2023
- Relocation support available
- Work Location Assignment: On Premise. On Premise colleagues work in a Pfizer site because it's needed to get their job done. They may have flexibility to work remotely from time to time, but they are primarily on-site.
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development