Our Research Centre
The new "Centre for Artificial Intelligence in Public Health Research" (ZKI-PH) offers a unique working and research environment: with innovative methods, an international team and state-of-the-art equipment, we are committed to the health of the population.
Research Group Leader (Career Track)
Artificial Intelligence – Fundamentals (m/f/d)
Start date: As soon as possible
Contract type: Fixed-term contract up to max. 5 years
Location: Wildau (near Berlin)
Remuneration: up to E 15 TVöD
Reference number: 968709 | 100/23
We are looking for new team members for our new "Centre for Artificial Intelligence in Public Health Research" (ZKI-PH) in Wildau. Join the Robert Koch Institute – one of Germany's largest departmental (governmental) research institutions. We look forward to meeting you!
For legal reasons, the specific duration of each individual contract (maximum 5 years) is based on the individual availability of time within the meaning of § 2 (1) of the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz (WissZeitVG).
Set-up and management of the new research group "AI Fundamentals", in particular:
- Assemble own team to fulfil official tasks and duties as part of a departmental research organisation, incl.
- Strategic management of technology development for the use of artificial intelligence (AI) in the public health sector
- Development of methodological foundations for AI-supported applications
- Development of analytical methods for the investigation of methodological challenges in AI models and the quality assurance of these models for use in medicine, society and public health
- Exploration of ethical aspects in the use and application of AI methods
- Support the professional development of scientific staff
- Collaborate across disciplines and departments within the RKI to combine and augment the RKI’s traditional expertise in the research of infectious and non-communicable diseases with and/or by artificial intelligence methods
Conduct world-class scientific research in the field of Artificial Intelligence for Public Health, in particular:
- Independently manage research projects at the interface of AI, medicine and bioinformatics for the benefit of public health
- Manage and integrate data, develop novel algorithms/methods, and provide quality assurance for this work
- Coordinate above-mentioned research projects and support the acquisition of third-party funding
- Prepare high-impact factor scientific publications as well as project and research reports
Provide scientific support during the establishment of a federal and networked research data infrastructure:
- Cooperate closely with the Federal Ministry of Health and other federal authorities within its remit, in particular the Research Data Centre at the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices (BfArM)
- Contribute to national and international bodies/panels which regulate data availability and AI applications in the health sector
- Provide scientific support for the development of the Health Data Space at national and European level
What we expect
- a completed scientific university degree (master's degree or state examination) in a relevant (information) technical, scientific, medical, public health field or similar
Applicants holding qualifications from foreign institutions, should provide evidence of equivalence to German qualifications.
Required skills and experience:
- Extensive research experience in artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning and deep learning either within industry or within academia
- Extensive knowledge of and well-established working experience in the common programming languages
- Experience in quantitative data analysis and in handling complex bodies of data
- Highly developed skills in scientific publishing as well as the presentation of research results
- Extensive experience in the coordination/ management of research projects
Desirable skills and experience:
- Several years of professional work experience within the field of AI as well as initial management experience
- Knowledge of or experience in Public Health research
- Experience in presenting complex (scientific) topics in an understandable way
- Knowledge and experience in acquiring third-party funding
- Language skills (CEFR-Level): English at least C1, C2 preferred, German at least A2 and the willingness to acquire further German skills as soon as possible in order to be able to communicate effectively in the work environment (German courses are offered)
- List of publications as well as a list of previous/on-going third-party funded projects with funding details
- Outline of a 5-year plan for the planned own research at the ZKI-PH as well as plans on how to finance this
- Willingness to undergo an extended security screening according to §9 of the Security Clearance Act (SÜG) as well as their positive conclusion
Convince us with
- Your ability to acquire new knowledge quickly as well as your commitment to life-long learning
- Your willingness to innovate and your open approach to new developments
- Your independence and your self-reliant way of working; characterised by a high degree of initiative and sense of responsibility
- Your ability to cooperate and work within a team to achieve shared goals
- Your service mentality and your ability to adapt to the needs of others
- Your reliability and your timely, high-quality approach to work
- Your goal-oriented management/leadership style and your proficiency in achieving said goals by deriving appropriate measures from the Institute’s overall objectives
- Your ability to motivate staff by providing constructive and regular feedback and radiating trust and confidence in the abilities of your staff
Successful applicants will be offered a fixed-term, public sector employment contract (according to TVöD Bund) of initially 5 years duration. Subject to satisfactory performance at the career-track evaluation towards the end of the fixed-term contract, the position will be converted to a continuing (permanent) position. Depending on your qualifications and experience, you may then be offered a continuing civil servant position up to grade B1, or permanent employment up to pay grade E15 TVöD. The career-track evaluation will be conducted according to well-defined criteria by an expert panel comprising internal and external experts.
We aim to increase the representation of women in leadership positions and therefore particularly welcome applications from qualified women.
Please submit your application via www.interamt.de
Please note the position identification number: StellenID 968709
Our employees enjoy A CLEAR PURPOSE
We offer you a job that matters. As Germany's most important public health institute our impact is large.
A COOPERATIVE WORK CLIMATE
Teamwork is vital in our line of work, so we attach great importance to respectful communication and an open feedback culture.
FLEXIBLE WORKING ARRANGEMENTS
We change along with the times when it comes to scheduling. We offer flexible models tailored to individual needs, 30 days paid leave each year and sabbatical opportunities.
Off-campus work is part of our routine. We provide a public transit „job ticket“ for trips to the office and bicycles for shorter trips.
Family services, child care and flex time – life is variable and our offerings are as diverse as the lives of our staff as well!
LEISURE ACTIVITIES & EVENTS
Sport, relaxation courses or cinema club, we have it all. Furthermore, we regularly host all kinds of events – both work-related and informal ones.
We want you to grow with us, so we support your professional, academic and personal development.
Rewarding responsibilities and state-of-the-art equipment make for fruitful interdisciplinary research and supportive administration.
Looking for a new challenge?
Become part of the RKI's DNA! We are looking forward to meeting you.
We are committed to equal opportunities in employment. We guarantee equality in the workplace by welcoming people across the spectrum of diversity. Disabled candidates with the same qualifications and suitability will be given preference.
Within the scope of its supervisory powers, the Federal Ministry of Health may examine application documents on a case-by-case basis. Your data will be deleted after the application process has been completed.
Further questions? Please contact
Phone: +49 30 18754-3551