Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best - in - class medicines to patients around the world. ROLE SUMMARY
We are seeking a Senior Scientist with expertise in the development of novel in vitro assessments of biopharmaceutics attributes and risks for new drug products. Senior scientist is a member of the Drug Product Design department and engaged in biopharmaceutics-based design of drug delivery systems and efficient manufacturing processes. The Senior Scientist will be expected to respond to the challenges of bridging solid state and solution thermodynamics for organic molecules and their interactions with biological interfaces and multi-component drug product matrices. Candidate must have skills and interest in understanding and quantifying thermodynamically driven processes as well as kinetics of transformations in physicochemical properties of simple and complex multi-component materials.
The selected candidate is expected to utilize principles of physical, biophysical, physical-organic chemistry, and analytical chemistry to troubleshoot, understand, and solve practical problems associated with in vitro and in vivo performance of drug products. The candidate can work independently and be a part of multi-disciplinary project teams. The candidate will report to a biopharmaceutics team leader in Groton, CT- USA.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be the catalyst to advance the utilization of solution and solid-state thermodynamic principles governing physical phenomenon in drug product design and development with a focus on biopharmaceutics attributes of the molecule and drug delivery system.
- Utilize and apply the principles of physics and physical chemistry to characterize and understand the thermodynamics and kinetic processes of drug species in solution to enable design of a variety of drug delivery systems and predict in vitro & in vivo performance.
- Utilize or develop mathematical models to predict dissolution of solid particles in aqueous solutions, precipitation of particles from supersaturated aqueous solutions, and release of drug molecules for the design of drug delivery systems.
- Work in m.ultidisciplinary teams composed of scientists with expertise in biopharmaceutics, oral absorption modeling, pharmaceutical sciences, biology, pharmacology, synthetic organic chemistry, chemical engineering, material science, etc.
- Develop hypotheses, design experiments to test these hypotheses and provide interpretation of data to assist in resolving challenging physicochemical problems associated with drug delivery systems.
- Develop strategic collaborations with academic and industrial researchers for addressing gaps in fundamental or applied science related to biopharmaceutics with a focus on in vitro assessments or mass transport phenomenon using principles of physics, physical chemistry, and chemical engineering associated with solution and solid-state thermodynamics of drugs.
- Publish research in reputable scientific journals and give presentations at national and international conferences.
- Contribute to write regulatory submissions to provide succinct description of well characterized and modeled drug delivery systems, their manufacture, and their biopharmaceutical performance.
- Recent PhD and/or with 1-3-year post-doctoral experience in, Physical Chemistry, Biophysical Chemistry, Biophysics, Physics, Physical Organic Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Science, or Analytical Chemistry.
- Candidates with experience in allied disciplines may also apply with the following qualifications: Ph.D with minimum 2 years, MS with 5+ years, or BS with 10+ years of experience in industry.
- Experience in understanding and interpretation of experimental thermodynamic and kinetic data and ability to develop relevant computational models for predictive design and performance of novel drug delivery systems with focus biopharmaceutics applications.
- Experience in interpretation of experimental thermodynamic and kinetic data associated with biopharmaceutics and drug delivery systems; solve problems by combining data with mathematical modeling of underlying phenomenon.
- Experience in the use of appropriate modeling and computer software and computer programming languages e.g. Matlab, C++, Python for problem solving.
- Strong interpersonal written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and activities while meeting tight deadlines.
- Proactive in problem-solving and be able to independently manage timelines and priorities.
- Ability to work independently to drive project forward as well as collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Work remotely with globally located biopharmaceutics and multi-disciplinary team members.
Relocation support available
Work Location Assignment:On Premise
[2/15 1:41 PM] Tkach, Dawn
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development