The primary purpose of the Research Assistant II position is to provide technical and coordination skills in carrying out various research projects by providing technical assistance in carrying out various research projects.KEY FUNCTIONS
Coordinates and conducts experiments and carries out research projects in varied areas of chemistry, biology, or related basic science areas. Constructs, assembles, and operates laboratory apparatus and equipment. Reads literature and confers with superiors regarding new procedures and modifies them according to the needs of the project. Records and evaluates data obtained in accordance with methods requested. To perform routine laboratory procedures to assist in research (30%).
* Conduct experiments and carry out research projects in varied areas
* Maintains and establishes culture of cells, which require rigorous sterile techniques. Must have the ability to observe and identify cell changes under the microscope, determine cell counts and cell viability.
* Prepare sterile media and solutions, and prepare cells for cryogenic storage.
* Perform DNA, RNA, and protein isolation, quantitation, separation, and quality testing by agarose gel electrophoresis, SDS-PAGE, and other relevant procedures. Materials will be isolated from cell lines and clinical specimens.
* Learn to operate laboratory equipment and apparatus and perform routine operator maintenance
* Maintain ordering and logs
* Maintain alertness and careful attention to avoid injury to self and others due to chemicals and hazardous materials in the laboratoryWork with Animal (Mice) Products (40%)
* Will carry out experiments involving animal tissues in some cases.
* Will have knowledge of safety concerns when working with animal tissues.
* Work on animal tissues will require application of universal safety precautions at all times.To maintain good, detailed experimental records (15%).
* Maintain an accurate, up-to-date, organized, and legible laboratory journal that records all data according to methods requested
* Evaluate data in accordance with methods requested
* Collect and organize information for project reportsMonitor and anticipate laboratory needs (10%).
* Keep ample stock of supplies on hand
* Order reagents
* Know the procedure for obtaining repair or maintenance for lab equipment
* Prepare stock solutions
* Perform laboratory maintenance, such as cleaningTo work closely with other staff members (5%).
* Maintain good working relationship with other technicians
* Explain to staff members the scientific protocols currently being employed in the laboratoryOther:
- The performance for all expected outcomes is measured by observation by supervisor, reports from investigators and co-workers, the accuracy and timeliness of work produced, and demonstration of the ability to effectively work under stress and anticipate needs. The ability to deal effectively with a variety of individuals and situations is essential.
- Marginal or Period Functions
- Collects and organizes information for project reports. Other duties as assigned.
- Standing for long periods of time, moving around from one area of the laboratory to another to work with different equipment, walking to different floors of the hospital to collect samples and to get patients' records. Steady-hand posture is also necessary. Visually checking for cells in the microscope and ability to use cameras and other photographic and laboratory equipment is also required. Requires keeping handwritten records. May involve occasional exposure to hazardous equipment and materials.
- Must possess the ability to be clearly understood by verbal communication in face-to-face encounters and by telephone, read printed and written data, assimilate pertinent information in order to communicate in written correspondence. Must be able to communicate well verbally and in writing. Must be able to understand verbal and written directions. Must be able to respond and assist other employees and visitors, as required.
- Working conditions are considered acceptable, but may involve occasional exposure to hazardous equipment and materials.
Required: Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Preferred: Master's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.EXPERIENCE
Required: One year experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html