17.9 million lives are estimated to be lost each year due to Cardio-metabolic diseases. The Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease Area (CVM) of the Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (NIBR) is committed to changing this alarming statistic by discovering transformative medicines to treat cardiovascular and metabolic disorders.
We are seeking a highly motivated in vitro Research Scientist to join our Biochemistry team. Here you will advance our understanding of disease biology and the discovery of new drugs, by contributing to target validation, assay development and drug screening efforts throughout the disease area and in collaboration with the larger research organization.
As a cell biology and biochemistry Research Scientist, you will conduct experiments both independently and collaboratively in an inter-disciplinary setting to support drug discovery projects.
What you will be doing:
• Conducting in vitro biochemical and cell biology experiments to support research projects targeting metabolic and cardiovascular diseases
• Independently, and with input from manager, analyze data, generate, and test hypotheses, troubleshoot assays
• Present findings at project team and departmental meetings
• Collaborate effectively with colleagues and cross functional project team members
• Work both independently and as part of a team
• Ability to manage multiple research activities in parallel, good laboratory citizenship, and rigorous data documentation practices
• Flexibility, curiosity, and an aptitude for learning and applying new techniques and concepts
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $66,000 and $126,000/year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/23 through 12/31/23, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you will bring to the role:
• BS or MS degree in biochemistry, molecular or cell biology, biophysics, biomedical engineering, or a related field
• Proficiency in cell and molecular biology techniques such as cell culture, DNA/RNA/protein isolation and manipulation, ELISAs, qPCR, or HTRF
• Familiarity with cell-based assay design, validation, and automation
• 2+ years of relevant biomedical research experience preferred
What Novartis can offer you?
We have one of the most competitive pipelines in the industry with more than 200 projects in clinical development. Yes, we offer outstanding benefits and competitive salaries. However, we can offer more.
Here you will:
• Join a team committed to bringing more of our medicines to more people, no matter where they are
• Work with the latest technologies
• Work with industry thought leaders on a regular basis
236 million lives were touched by Novartis Innovative Medicines in 2022, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could achieve here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network