- Harvard University - Rowland Institute at Harvard, FAS
- Harvard Square, Massachusetts
- Fellows begin at $90,000 per year
- Closing date
- Aug 10, 2023
- Life Sciences, Biochemistry, Biology, Physical Sciences, Engineering, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Job Type
- Group Leader/Principal Investigator, Research Scientist
- Organization Type
The Rowland Institute at Harvard seeks the best early-career experimentalists in all fields of science and engineering. The Rowland Fellowship provides an opportunity to establish an independent program in the rich intellectual environment in Cambridge, Massachusetts. To qualify, applicants should currently be in the process of either completing their PhDs and/or have received their PhD after August 1, 2022. Fellows must have competed their doctoral degree prior to starting their Fellowship term.
Edwin Land founded the Rowland Institute of Science in 1982 to foster high-risk, creative research. In 2002, we became the Rowland Institute at Harvard when we joined the University with the mission of advancing the early careers of experimental scientists and engineers. In our founder’s tradition, we are particularly interested in supporting young scholars who have the potential to establish a ground-breaking research program in their chosen field. Previous Rowland Fellows have gone on to extremely successful careers, mostly in academia, but also in industry and even as founders of startup companies.
The Rowland Fellowship provides a flexible and agile environment, fostering the pursuit of innovative research. The Fellowship provides funding for equipment, the hiring of postdoctoral fellows and undergraduate students, and general operations. Staff scientists and engineers are available to work with the Rowland Fellows to design and fabricate new experimental set-ups. Shared research equipment are available at facilities within the Institute and throughout Harvard University.
The Fellowship lasts up to five years, with a flexible start date; our 2024 Rowland Fellows will have start dates September-December 2024. The stipend for Rowland Fellows begins at $90,000 per year.
Deadline for applications is Friday, August 18, 2023 at 11:59PM EDT.
To apply the candidates must use the link below to submit their application:
Only applications submitted through the Harvard website will be considered for the position. For more information follow the instructions and the link at the website below:
Applicants should upload the following materials:
- a Statement of Research (three page limit)
- a curriculum vitae (CV)
- and contact information for three or four references (automated emails will be sent requesting letters of recommendation.)
- Applications are due August 18, 2023 Mid-October 2023: Candidates are contacted to interview. Mid-November 2023: Finalists come to the Institute for two days. Day 1: Candidates participate in a symposium, and give a brief presentation on both past and proposed research. Day 2: Candidates will interview with current Rowland Fellows, Rowland staff, and the admissions committee.
December 2023: Selection decisions are made and finalists are informed
Harvard is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert