The nanoparticle formulation scientist is a member of the New Therapeutic Modalities Group within the Discovery Research Department and will support laboratory research activities towards the development and testing of novel gene therapy products. He/she will be responsible for:
- Lead and develop projects within Discovery research to support Spark’s vision in nucleic acid delivery
- Conduct experiments, independently and in collaboration internally and externally in support of project goals
- Research and identify new opportunities and novel project ideas related to nucleic acid delivery
- Formulate and characterize nanoparticle-based formulations (e.g. liposomes, lipid nanoparticles) at varying scales.
- Optimize existing formulation methods and analytical techniques and generate standard operating procedures (SOPs) and test method documents
- Analysis and accurate documentation of assay results in an electronic lab notebook, technical documents, and other reporting formats.
% of Time
Job Function and Description
Plan, prepare, and perform experiments on the bench to support New Therapeutic Modalities Group projects. Assist other team members in the performance of laboratory experiments as needed.
Prepare sample analysis reports and accurately document work in electronic lab notebook
Participate in group meetings and scientific discussions/troubleshooting.
Education and Experience Requirements
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- PhD in chemistry, engineering, phamacutical sciences, or biological sciences required.
- Generally, has at least 0-3 years of relevant experience
- Familiarity with various analytical methods including, but not limited to HPLC, DLS, zeta potential, and encapsulation efficiency
- Experience in general and advanced nanoparticle formulation
- Experience in nanoparticle formulation processes development
- Experience with different characterization methods such as HPLC, DLS, zeta potential, and encapsulation efficiency
- Proven ability to work independently in hands-on laboratory setting, self-motivated to learn and develop new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies.
- Excellent knowledge of the scientific literature in the field of nucleic acid delivery
- Highly analytical, decisive and goal-oriented with maintaining the highest scientific standards
- Familiarity of Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) and Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) a plus.
- Familiar with computer software commonly used in bio/pharma industries.
- Strong team player with excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Prior experience with in vitro/in vivo screening of nanoparticle formulations preferred
- Prior experience with development of tissue/cell targeting nanoparticles preferred
- Prior experience with different route of administration (ROA) techniques such as ocular, CNS and others
- Prior experience with nanoparticle protein corona analysis
- Experience and knowledge with plasmid construction, isolation and purification
- Experience with ligand conjucation
- Experience with lipids chemistry
- Experience with tissue extraction and DNA isolation: flow cytometry and PCR
Internal and External Contacts
- Demonstrate independent problem solving skills of technical issues; develop solutions to a variety of moderate to complex problems; Discuss with supervisor and refer to policies/practices for guidance.
- Ability to work independently after initial training as well as being part of a team
- Self-motivated, flexible, and willing to adapt to meet team goals.
- Keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies.
- Must be comfortable in the fast-paced, biotech start-up environment and interact with multi-disciplinary research teams at Spark.
- Exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Coordinates with a wide variety of internal Spark teams to accomplish goals.
- Requires some coordination of external vendors/CROs.
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Spark Therapeutics does not accept unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles from any source other than directly from candidates. Any unsolicited resume/candidate profile submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Spark Therapeutics are considered property of Spark Therapeutics and are not subject to payment of agency fees.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.Learn more about Spark Therapeutics and view other openings.