Group Leader - Training & Innovation
- Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
- Closing date
- Apr 12, 2023
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Job Type
- Group Leader/Principal Investigator
- Organization Type
6,000! That’s the number of associates with Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
The Group Leader - Training & Innovation is a supervisory role to lead a comprehensive in vivo regulatory Training Program and provide expert advice and teaching opportunities to scientists on state-of-the-art technical approaches. In this role, you will be primarily responsible for the alignment of Comparative Medicine (CM) Training and Innovation to the organizational direction and needs of the research community, while ensuring outstanding quality, proficiency and efficiency of the program. You will actively propose novel experimental approaches and technologies to the NIBR scientific groups to efficiently address in vivo project needs.
Your additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Lead the Training and Innovation platform, ensure highest standards of the regulatory training program, provide strategic direction and continually facilitate complex training activities/lectures
• Responsible for daily activities in the in vivo Training field (such as technical procedure trainings and novel technical procedures using simple to complex pharmacology animal models)
• Demonstrate independent judgment and collaboratively implement new technical methods including surgical model developments
• Lead and complete independent research requiring highly specialized scientific and technical knowledge
• Identify and propose new technical trends that may impact research projects by keeping abreast of the literature to identify refinements and new technical trends
• Run a technical/lab platform, work with labs to run experiments, perform leadership tasks and efficiently manage local/global projects
• Conduct efficient and effective department meetings and represent the department at internal meetings
• Represent NIBR to outside agencies, groups, and alliances
• Publish and lecture at internal/external meetings
• Ensure your teams compliance with all institutional and regulatory protocols, policies and guidelines
• Continually pursue and provide learning/professional development opportunities for you and your team, and review and update CM SOPs/techniques
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you'll bring to the role:
• Preferred educational background is DVM
• May have PhD, MS or equivalent (e.g., university degree, etc.) in scientific discipline such as biology, chemistry or pharmacology with appropriate and relevant years of experience, or apprenticeship (or equivalent) with appropriate and relevant years of experience in drug discovery or other related animal laboratory research, including surgical proficiency
• Experience in training programs or advance technical skills in animal research
• Leadership/management skills
• Superior written and oral communication and data documentation skills required
• Working knowledge of federal, state, local Animal Welfare laws and departmental SOP’s
236 million lives were touched by Novartis Innovative Medicines in 2022, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $102,400 and $153,600/year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/23 through 12/31/23, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
At Novartis, we are reimagining medicine.
Our purpose is to reimagine medicine to improve and extend people's lives. We use innovative science and technology to address some of society's most challenging healthcare issues. We discover and develop breakthrough treatments and find new ways to deliver them to as many people as possible.
Novartis has one of the industry’s most competitive pipelines. Many of these projects, which include new molecular entities as well as additional indications and different formulations for marketed products, are for medicines that could significantly advance treatment standards for patients worldwide.
We have entered an exciting era in health and biomedical innovation. Powered by our incredible colleagues, supported by our flexible-hybrid working model, new AI powered learning, personal growth and career platform and a refreshed commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion, we are well-poised to help lead this transformative moment for our industry and for ourselves. Join Us!
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert