Clinical Laboratory Scientist I/II
- COUNTY OF VENTURA -HEALTH CARE AGENCY
- Ventura, California
- $78,166.40 - $114,795.20 Annually
- Closing date
- Apr 16, 2023
- Other, Other
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Organization Type
Under direction of the Pathologist and Laboratory Manager, to perform a variety of standardized chemical, microscopic and bacteriological tests for examination, obtaining data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases; orient new employees; and, perform other related duties as required.
Clinical Laboratory Scientist I is considered entry level to the Clinical Laboratory Scientist series, while the II is experienced and can work with less-direct supervision.
Clinical Laboratory Scientist I: $37.58 - $48.28 per hour
Clinical Laboratory Scientist II: $42.41 - $55.19 per hour
Regular employees may receive additional compensation to their hourly rate of pay for the following:
- Evening Shift Differential - 7.5%
- Night Shift Differential - 15%
- Standby Premium Pay - 1/4 of regular hourly wage or Federal minimum wage (whichever is greater)
- NEW HIRE/RETENTION INCENTIVES
Subject to the applicable section of the SEIU 721 MOA 2022-2025 (Download PDF reader), Article 38
EDUCATIONAL/BILINGUAL INCENTIVE: Incumbents may be eligible for educational incentive of 2.5%, 3.5%, or 5% based on completion of an Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's degree that is not required for the classification. Incumbents may also be eligible for bilingual incentive depending upon operational need and certification of skill.
AGENCY/DEPARTMENT: Health Care Agency – Ventura County Medical Center and Santa Paula Hospital
Clinical Laboratory Scientist I -II are represented by the Service Employees' International Union (SEIU) and are eligible for overtime compensation.
The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future Regular (including Temporary and Fixed-Term), Per Diem Pool, Intermittent, and Extra-Help vacancies within the Health Care Agency. There are currently one (1) Regular vacancy and two (2) Intermittent vacancies.
An Intermittent Employee is a person employed for intermittent/temporary work on a day-to-day basis. This Intermittent position will be assigned weekends and some shifts during the week.
NOTE: If appointed at the lower level, incumbent may be promoted to the higher level without further examination upon meeting the minimum requirements, demonstrating satisfactory performance, and in accordance with the business needs of the department.
OPENING DATE: 3/8/23
CLOSING DATE: Continuous and may close at any time; therefore, the schedule for the remainder of the process will depend upon when we receive a sufficient number of qualified applications to meet business needs.
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Performs a variety of tests in any or all of the fields of medical technology;
- Completion of technical testing/reporting in serology, blood bank, microbiology, hematology, coagulation, chemistry, special chemistry and urinalysis;
- Performs venipuncture as required;
- Assists in maintaining the laboratory and equipment in a clean and orderly condition;
- Maintains basic records and operates the numerous pieces of electronic equipment and analyzers required for testing;
- Participates in quality assurance and proficiency testing activities; and
- Performs other related duties as required.
These are entrance requirements to the examination process and assure neither continuance in the process nor placement on an eligible list.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, and EXPERIENCE
Clinical Laboratory Scientist I
A valid Clinical Laboratory Scientist Generalist, Clinical Chemistry Scientist, Clinical Microbiologist, Clinical Immunohematologist Scientist, or Clinical Hematologist Scientist license issued by the State of California Department of Health Services.
Clinical Laboratory Scientist II
A valid Clinical Laboratory Scientist Generalist, Clinical Chemistry Scientist, Clinical Microbiologist, Clinical Immunohematologist Scientist, or Clinical Hematologist Scientist license issued by the State of California Department of Health Services AND one (1) year of recent experience as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Willing to occasionally work in other departments and shifts as needed
- Willing to work overtime as needed
- OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
This position may be subject to State Health Officer Orders regarding vaccine verification and/or testing. These requirements are a condition of employment. Depending on assignment and work location(s), successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination and/or booster against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process.
- Experience in Acute Care hospital setting
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist generalist license
- Able to work as an integral part of the laboratory team
- Knowledge of one or more sub-specialty such as: Chemistry, Hematology, Coagulation, Microbiology, Urinalysis, and Blood Bank
- Establish Quality Assurance Indicators and/or monitor Quality Improvement programs when appropriate
- Modify procedures as directed by supervisor
- Willing to monitor inventory and order lab supplies
- Willing to be on Standby as needed
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of: the standardized tests performed in Hematology, Serology, Chemistry, Blood bank, Microbiology, Urinalysis.
Working ability to: perform all the above standardized tests; work cautiously and accurately; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; work with and understand operation of technical equipment.
FINAL FILING DATE: This is a continuous recruitment and may close at any time; therefore, apply as soon as possible if you are interested. Your application must be received by County of Ventura Human Resources in Ventura, California, no later than 5:00 p.m. on the closing date.
To apply on-line, please refer to our web site at www.ventura.org/jobs. A paper application can be obtained by calling (805) 654-5129. Our address is: County of Ventura, Human Resources Division, 800 South Victoria Avenue, L-1970, Ventura, CA 93009.
For further information about this recruitment, please contact Nathan Wood by e-mail at email@example.com or by telephone at (805) 677-5232.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert