Data Scientist / Bioinformatician, Biologics R&D
- Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
- Closing date
- Mar 24, 2023
- Life Sciences, Bioinformatics, Physical Sciences, Information Technology
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Organization Type
6000! This is the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. The Biologics Center (NBC) is accommodated within the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). NBC, in collaboration with the disease areas and technical expert groups, builds the future biologics therapy pipeline of Novartis through the discovery and creation of new antibody, protein, nucleic acid and virus-based molecules.
NBC is hiring for a Data Scientist / Bioinformatician to join the NBC Bioinformatics team. In this role, you work closely with experimental scientists to analyze different types of data sets, define, and develop data analysis pipelines and tools to support our biologics programs and generate knowledge and predictive models. Additionally, you will provide computational, bioinformatic, and statistical support for R&D biologics projects. You will work in a collaborative and multi-disciplinary environment with other passionate bioinformaticians and will translate projects’ needs into bioinformatics solutions and identify computational needs and influence the introduction and the design of new/state-of-the-art analysis techniques and tools.
What you’ll be doing: Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Independently design, plan, execute, and document complex data analysis using statistical modelling techniques, then interpret, summarize and report findings to help drive decisions and set priorities
• Follow latest advances in the field, raise awareness, and influence the introduction of novel and state-of-the-art computational techniques
• Understand the usage of different statistical modelling methods, their biases, how and when to apply them, decide which method/s to use for a particular analysis and data set
• Collaborate in a matrix environment, working with scientists and teams in different areas to address projects’ specific needs
• Develop, maintain, and automate analysis scripts, tools, and predictive models for broader and repeated use
• Ability to identify computational needs and aspects of the drug discovery and development process that can benefit from an increased usage of predictive models and in general bioinformatics support
• Ability to quickly adapt to new technologies and changing needs, and to learn what is needed to achieve goals in multi-disciplinary environment
• Mentor/coach team members and peers in technical, and scientific aspects
• Communicate data and analyses to broad scientific audience, technical and non-technical team members
This position will be located at the Cambridge, MA site and will not have the ability to be located remotely. This position will require 0% travel as defined by the business (domestic and/ or international).
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you’ll bring to the role:
• Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Data Science, Computer Science, applied mathematics or related field with a significant statistical component with 3+ years of relevant industry experience, with deep knowledge on drug discovery and development processes, including experience working closely with experimental scientists in developing predictive models and data analysis pipelines
• Experience working with next-generation sequencing data (NGS), its commonly used analysis tools, and ability to develop new pipelines and workflows based on business needs
• Knowledge of programming languages, i.e., Python or R, and Unix / high-performance computing environment, including software development practices as version control, testing, documentation, etc.
• Strong communication skills (oral and written) and ability to multi-task
• Experience in applying statistical modelling or machine learning approaches for complex quantitative data analysis and prediction models involving protein/DNA/RNA data in low or high-throughput scale
• Able to identify, curate, and integrate data from internal and external sources
• Able to troubleshoot critical issues or problems, and determine causes and possible solutions
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between Senior Expert I: $130,400-195,600/Senior Expert II: $144,000-216,000 a year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
At Novartis, we are reimagining medicine.
Our purpose is to reimagine medicine to improve and extend people's lives. We use innovative science and technology to address some of society's most challenging healthcare issues. We discover and develop breakthrough treatments and find new ways to deliver them to as many people as possible.
Novartis has one of the industry’s most competitive pipelines. Many of these projects, which include new molecular entities as well as additional indications and different formulations for marketed products, are for medicines that could significantly advance treatment standards for patients worldwide.
We have entered an exciting era in health and biomedical innovation. Powered by our incredible colleagues, supported by our flexible-hybrid working model, new AI powered learning, personal growth and career platform and a refreshed commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion, we are well-poised to help lead this transformative moment for our industry and for ourselves. Join Us!
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert