Global Head, Immunology Translational Medicine
- Basel, Switzerland
- Closing date
- Mar 30, 2023
- Life Sciences, Immunology, Health Sciences, Medicine
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Organization Type
10! That’s how many pipeline projects Immunology has in Phase 3 or registration and over 25 projects in Phase 1/2. Immunology is a key area for Novartis, and one where we have a long tradition. From the launch of Sandimmune (cyclosporin) 30 years ago to enable solid organ transplantation, to the current blockbusters Ilaris (anti-IL-1) and Cosentyx (anti-IL-17), Novartis has long had a focus on treating immunological diseases in rheumatology, dermatology, organ transplant, and autoimmune diseases. And we’re not looking back!
The Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is the innovation engine of Novartis. We collaborate across scientific and organization boundaries, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs from patients. Within NIBR, Translational Medicine (TM) is the clinical research arm and includes over 900 associates globally. TM plays a pivotal role in bringing innovative medicines to patients, by building on research advances to develop new therapies, and bridging drug discovery and clinical application.
Within TM, TM Discovery & Profiling (TMDP) is a group of about 65 physicians and clinical researchers who drive that innovative science from discovery to the patient through the selection, profiling, and effective development of medicines. Translational Medicine Experts (TME’s) oversee Phase 1 and 2 clinical trials to demonstrate proof of concept in patients, creating the case for drugs to proceed to late-stage development and registration. TME’s are also responsible for Phase 3 clinical pharmacology and mechanistic studies. Overall, TM and NIBR deliver about half of the final drug dossier or label information.
As the Global Head TM Immunology, you will lead a team of TME’s responsible for all early clinical development plans and studies through Proof of Concept, new disease indications, translational research and profiling activities, and clinical pharmacology studies for the Immunology Therapeutic Area. You will be a member of the global Translational Medicine Leadership Team, accountable for overall department goals, helping to lead continuous improvement across the department, and enhancing the culture of TM. You will also be a key bridge between Immunology Research and late phase development and commercial colleagues across the Immunology Franchise in Novartis.
Your major accountabilities will be to:
• Set, communicate and drive strategy for the Immunology Translational Medicine Therapeutic Area in alignment with the broader organization
• Be accountable for setting the biomarker strategy for your group
• Prioritize and allocate resources across the team to meet portfolio needs
• Co-chair the Disease Area Decision Board with the Research Disease Area Head to decide on targets, compounds, and indications to progress from preclinical ideas to clinical testing
• Deliver clear human Proof-of-Concept study outcomes for decisions on new compounds
• Collaborate with Development colleagues to agree on Proof-of-Concept criteria and indications and on Development Decision Point criteria
• Support Translational Medicine Experts on Development teams after Proof-of-Concept to deliver clinical pharmacology and mechanistic studies
• Bring relevant internal and external opinion leaders together to consider the proposed approach to Clinical Proof-of-Concept
• Ensure seamless collaboration across Research, Translational Medicine, Development, and other relevant line functions in the development of drug candidates. Work closely and effectively with other TA TM Heads to foster collaborations and lead to cross-DA indication expansion PoC opportunities
• Foster strong external clinical collaborations to maintain state of the art clinical approaches
• Contribute senior level expertise to Strategic Alliances, Business Development and Licensing due diligence reviews for in licensing and out licensing opportunities
• Provide or review Translational Medicine input to meetings and interactions with Health Authorities
• Develop talent pipeline through recruitment activities and being a mentor, coach, and educational resource across Novartis responsible for quality of clinical protocols, study reports and submission documents
The position is based in Basel, Switzerland and will require 25% travel as defined by the business (domestic and/or international). We support international family relocation and integration support to Switzerland.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
What you will bring to this role:
• MD or MD/PhD, or MD with doctoral thesis in relevant field (Rheumatology, Allergy & Immunology, Transplantation, or related field)
Board certification in a relevant field. Subspecialty clinical training in Immunology disorders (preferred) or related subspecialty with appropriate Board Certification(s)
• Fluent English, strong written and oral communication skills
• Leadership position in pharmaceutical/biotech industry or academic medical center combining scientific and medical subspecialty skills, maintaining state-of-the-art clinical approaches and inspiring a culture of continuous improvement, innovation and quality
• Significant clinical experience with patients with Immunology diseases
• Direct basic science expertise within Immunological diseases: accomplished independent basic investigator, recognized in your field through peer-reviewed grant funding, publications and congresses
• Strategic thinker, used to creating major innovations, networking with leading investigators, presenting complex strategic issues in a clear and logical way and driving impactful outcomes
• Natural ability to manage people, and lead leaders of others; able to provide mentoring at the highest levels including those outside of your own scientific/clinical expertise
• Used to successfully supporting and impacting experts, scientists and project deliveries across many functions of Research or Development / equivalent
• Strong program manager: excellent planning, prioritization, problem solving and organizational skills
• A creative and innovative approach with a sharp and objective intellect
• Strong cooperative team player, used to being flexible and adapting to a changing environment
• Resilient, energetic and enthusiastic; responding constructively to challenging new ideas and inputs
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
At Novartis, we are reimagining medicine.
Our purpose is to reimagine medicine to improve and extend people's lives. We use innovative science and technology to address some of society's most challenging healthcare issues. We discover and develop breakthrough treatments and find new ways to deliver them to as many people as possible.
Novartis has one of the industry’s most competitive pipelines. Many of these projects, which include new molecular entities as well as additional indications and different formulations for marketed products, are for medicines that could significantly advance treatment standards for patients worldwide.
We have entered an exciting era in health and biomedical innovation. Powered by our incredible colleagues, supported by our flexible-hybrid working model, new AI powered learning, personal growth and career platform and a refreshed commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion, we are well-poised to help lead this transformative moment for our industry and for ourselves. Join Us!
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert