Senior Scientist - Proteomics
- Lincoln, New Zealand
- NZD$95,943 - $112,874
- Closing date
- Apr 15, 2023
- Life Sciences, Biochemistry, Biology, Analytical Chemistry
- Job Type
- Senior Scientist
- Organization Type
- All Industry
At AgResearch, our purpose is to use science to enhance the value, productivity, and profitability of New Zealand’s pastoral, agri-food, and agri-technology sector, by transforming agriculture while incorporating the fundamental concepts of sustainability, environmental responsibility, and Mātauranga Māori.
We are passionate innovators, dedicated to delivering world-leading research through complex problem solving across diverse agricultural areas. We are respected by the scientific community for thought leadership, trusted by industry partners for the value we add to the sector, and highly regarded by farmers and governmental stakeholders for all we do to keep New Zealand at the forefront of global agricultural excellence.
We are looking for a highly motivated senior scientist with an interest in technological advancements in proteomics and proven expertise in mass spectrometry to join the Proteins & Metabolites team.
What you will be doing
- Develop and implement novel strategies for protein and peptide extraction, data acquisition, data analysis and data interpretation, including metaproteomics analyses across a wide range of sample types and projects
- Evaluate and test cutting-edge proteomics and peptidomics technologies
- Contribute to the delivery of projects in the food, bioproducts and agricultural space
- Provide scientific thought leadership and deliver research outcomes within allocated projects
- Work closely together with AgResearch data science hub to enable large-scale proteomics data analysis and computational workflow development
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- PhD degree in biology, biochemistry or analytical chemistry with 5+ years relevant experience in mass spectrometry-based proteomics or peptidomics and aligned bio-informatic tools
- Knowledge on agricultural science systems (e.g. soil science, animal or plant science) or systems biology is an advantage
- Strong background in proteomics and mass spectrometry, broad knowledge in protein extraction in a variety of sample types and hands-on experience in the operation of HRMS instrumentation (e.g., Orbitrap, qTOF, IMS-TOF, etc.)
- Proven Experience in the development of mass spectrometry acquisition methods (i.e. DIA, PRM, DDA, MRM, etc)
- Experience in the analysis of complex protein data using commercial and/or open-source software
- Programming skills relevant to proteomics data analysis (i.e. Python, R, etc.)
- Excellent communication, time-management, organisational and problem-solving skills
- Proven track record in collaborative teamwork
- Active involvement in mass spectrometry/proteomics research communities
- A track record of high-quality peer-reviewed publications (H-index > 10).
We encourage applications from candidates with an understanding of or a willingness to develop their capability in Te Tiriti o Waitangi, tikanga Māori, and/or te reo Māori.
- Flexible working options
- Income Protection and Life Insurance
- 5 weeks of annual leave
- Exceptional learning and development opportunities
At AgResearch we appreciate that we all value different things when it comes to working, so we provide a diverse range of benefits including extensive flexible working options that help employees balance their own lifestyle and needs with their work commitments, as well as health and wellbeing leave. You can view the full list here: http://www.agresearchcareers.co.nz/working-here/our-benefits/.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying, please click on the link, which will allow you to upload a Cover Letter and CV. In your 1-page (maximum) Cover Letter, please outline the following:
- Your motivation in applying
- Why you feel you are a good fit for the role
- What specific experience and skills you will bring to the role
- Any other elements you would like us to consider in your application
Please visit our careers site for the position description https://yourcareer.agresearch.co.nz/
For further information regarding your application please contact Evelyne Maes, Science Team Leader at email@example.com
Applications close 31 March, 2023.
AgResearch is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an environment that embraces, promotes and values diversity, equity and inclusion. We encourage and welcome candidates from any background, so please don’t hesitate to apply for this position or call us to discuss this further.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert