- Darien, CT, United States
- Closing date
- Apr 15, 2023
- Health Sciences, Drug Development
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Job Type
- Staff Scientist
- Organization Type
- Other Corporate
Do you dare to make an impact?
The role of Principal Scientist is to identify and assess technical problems and provide recommendations to management for solutions to these problems as well as develop new methodologies/broad technical programs and execute them. Consistently lead key tasks such as supporting product initiatives and business strategy to completion and independently develop products or technologies which meet product performance, quality and timing requirements. This role provides a broad spectrum of expertise and represents the department on technical issues. Other responsibilities include developing technical models to explain and predict results and demonstrating an ability to plan, perform, analyze, and draw conclusions from complex technical experiments, and openly share expertise and Points-of-View, contributing to free debate and discussion. The Principal Scientist will conduct his/her own laboratory experiments.
• Be a technical leader and innovative thinker in hair products formulation and support launch activities
• Leads key tasks such as supporting product initiatives and business strategy to completion and independently develop products or technologies which meet product performance, quality and timing requirements.
• Develops technical models to explain and predict results and demonstrating an ability to plan, perform, analyze, and draw conclusions from complex technical experiments. Present technical findings to upper management.
• Applies in-depth knowledge of marketplace, products, and trends, and participates in the development of future competitive strategies.
• Makes decisions and sets priorities according to the strategic plan.
• Promptly reports major issues or unexpected results as soon as identified.
• Communicates complex ideas in a clear, simple manner that captures people's attention (e.g., graphics, pictures, analogies, concrete examples).
• Forthrightly states opinions with conviction.
• Thinks divergently about options and alternatives before choosing best solutions.
• Has high tolerance for uncertainty; enjoys working in fluid environments that demand creativity.
• Is flexible and willing to change his/her mind in the face of new data or convincing counter-arguments.
• Participate in pilot and first production batches and write detailed descriptions of batching procedures to ensure batch reproducibility. Handle formulation and manufacturing issues for new and existing products. Demonstrate knowledge of basic industry regulations related to on-going projects and engage in acquiring more knowledge regarding regulations affecting product development in international markets.
• Coach and mentor junior department members in the art of cosmetic and consumer science or equivalent
• Approaches new challenges and experiences as opportunities to learn.
• On-board new junior level chemists/temps in formulation technology and best lab practices
• Interact with departments and colleagues within and outside of R&D, including, but not limited to, Marketing, Manufacturing, QA and Salon Services. Seek out and read industry literature as it relates to new assignments and technologies. Conduct patent searches on project related technologies, summarize and review search results with supervisor.
• Assist in the maintenance of laboratory raw materials, glassware, supplies and waste removal. Actively participate in the development of new and innovative products or technologies with interdepartmental colleagues. Communicate effectively and routinely with supervisor and, as needed, colleagues on all projects.
• Gain a working knowledge of laboratory equipment utilized to evaluate the physical and performance attributes of various product types. Maintain an organized, clean and tidy laboratory and cubicle workspace. Handle other projects and duties as assigned. Travel to manufacturing facility in Geneva New York 15%. Worker must periodically review the materials Hazardous Book of Guidelines.
- Minimum 10-15 years of industry experience (BS or MS)
- Minimum 8+ years of industry experience (PhD)
Henkel does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Unsolicited referrals and resumes are considered Henkel property and therefore, Henkel will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited referral. At Henkel's request only, preferred vendors may be invited to refer talent for specific open positions. In these cases, a fully-executed agreement with Henkel must be in place and current.
All employees applying for an internal position must have a discussion with his/her manager about their interest in a job posting opportunity. The discussion will not preclude the employee from interviewing if their skills meet the job requirements.
Henkel is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and other legally protected characteristics.
WE ARE PIONEERS AT HEART FOR THE GOOD OF GENERATIONS
Our purpose "Pioneers at heart for the good of generations" unites what we stand for, how we work, and forms the basis for our strategy.
The pioneering spirit of our company founder, Fritz Henkel, is what continues to differentiate us and unites Henkel employees worldwide. The ambition and motivation to work together on the solutions of tomorrow. Today. Every day. We do this not only for ourselves, but also for future generations, because we share a common responsibility.
Building on a strong legacy of more than 145 years, we are leading the way to reimagine and improve life every day. Today and for generations to come. Through our innovative and sustainable brands and technologies, across our teams around the world. Henkel holds leading positions in both industrial and consumer businesses: Our portfolio includes well-known hair care products, laundry detergents, fabric softeners as well as adhesives, sealants, and functional coatings.
Worldwide locations and an international culture shape our global footprint.
Henkel products and technologies are available worldwide. With employees from 124 nations and locations around the world, we achieve a strong presence both in mature and emerging markets.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert