Professor and Department Head (Academic Administrator)
- Pennsylvania State University
- State College
- See job description.
- Closing date
- Apr 5, 2023
Professor and Department Head (Academic Administrator)
The Department of Plant Pathology and Environmental Microbiology at The Pennsylvania State University is seeking an outstanding individual to provide leadership and vision as Department Head. The Department thrives on understanding the nature of how diverse factors impact food safety, crop quality/productivity, and agricultural and ecosystem health with the goal to develop effective strategies for sustainable food and feed production. Specifically, the Department supports integrated extension programs in field crops, fruits, mushrooms, and vegetables. The faculty lead basic and applied research programs on biological control, fungal biology, microbial ecology, genomics and evolution, and plant/microbe/environment interactions. The Department fosters a highly ranked graduate program in Plant Pathology and actively participates in undergraduate and inter-college graduate programs to provide an intellectually stimulating, diverse, and inclusive environment for education and professional development.
Responsibilities: The Head serves as the Departmental program leader and administrative officer and reports directly to the Dean of the College of Agricultural Sciences. The Head works with faculty to develop and meet strategic goals with diverse internal and external stakeholders. Duties include:
- Academic program leadership in research, graduate and undergraduate instruction and extension.
- Administrative responsibility for academic affairs, departmental personnel, financial matters, and physical facilities.
- Leadership and coordination of Departmental relations with other Penn State units and programs, agricultural producers, agricultural industries, government agencies, and citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Creating an environment that supports and cultivates diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
Qualifications: The candidate should possess a Ph.D. in Plant Pathology, Environmental Microbiology, Plant Disease Ecology and Evolution, or a closely related field in addition to the following attributes:
- Internationally recognized excellence in research, education and/or extension as a faculty member, research scientist and/or administrator in academia, industry or other institutions with a record of scholarship that would qualify the candidate for tenure.
- Effectiveness in advocating research, education, and extension missions.
- Program and administrative leadership experience or strong evidence of the potential for program and administrative leadership.
- Excellence in written and oral communication.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to provide an inclusive environment for all faculty, staff, students and stakeholders.
The successful candidate must have completed all degree requirements by the appointment date.
To apply, please provide:
Letter of application that states an applicant's specific interest in the position, qualifications, previous professional and administrative responsibilities, and achievements.
- Statement of leadership philosophy.
- Statement of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Curriculum vitae (C.V.) which includes statement of current position and responsibilities.
- Contact information for at least 3 professional references.
Applications will be reviewed beginning April 10, 2023, and the review process will continue until the position is filled. The salary will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the applicant. Inquiries can be addressed to: Dr. Adele Turzillo at email@example.com. Interested applicants should apply on Penn State's online job website (https://hr.psu.edu/careers). Employment will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with Penn State's policies and guidelines.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusive excellence that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusive excellence as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Academic/job/Penn-State-University-Park/Professor-and-Department-Head--Academic-Administrator-_REQ_0000040540-2
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert