Senior Scientist - Oral Biologics
- Novo Nordisk
- Lexington, Massachusetts (US)
- Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Apr 5, 2023
- Life Sciences, Pharmacokinetics / Pharmacodynamics, Pharmacology, Physiology, Health Sciences, Drug Development, Drug Discovery
- Job Type
- Senior Scientist
- Organization Type
Senior Scientist - Oral Biologics
Lexington, MA, US
About the Department
As part of the establishment of our R&D Hub in greater Boston, Novo Nordisk is growing its efforts within advanced drug delivery. A cornerstone of this is an expansion of our efforts in advancing oral biologics-based treatments to address unmet needs within a broad range of serious chronic diseases. Building on our success in developing the world’s first GLP-1 peptide in a tablet, we are rapidly growing our activities in our relentless pursuit of the next generation of oral-based therapies across a range of new modalities.
You will join and help build a vibrant and science-focused team of scientists, where innovation is at the core. One of the core focuses of the hub is to drive early-stage innovation within oral drug delivery sciences with a focus on new modalities such as peptides, proteins and oligonucleotides. In growing our presence in the greater Boston area via our R&D Hub, we seek to bring together the 100-year heritage and experience of Novo Nordisk with the unparalleled innovation eco-system found in Boston.
We will be based in new, purpose-built lab facilities in Lexington and co-located with our Dicerna Transformational Research Unit (TRU). As part of a team of leading scientists and innovators, you will bring your own ideas and collaborate with others to develop the next generation of oral biologics. It’s ground-breaking work with the promise of improving the lives of millions of people with chronic conditions. If you want to make a difference, join us to do pioneering research that can impact people everywhere.
The Senior Scientist will provide scientific leadership in the identification and development of novel advanced drug delivery systems to achieve oral administration of biologics including peptides and proteins. This will be achieved by functioning as a project leader for multiple research activities involving global, cross-functional teams to ensure achievement of key milestones. The Senior Scientist will represent the organization to the external scientific community through publication and presentation of highly impactful research and by overseeing external collaborations.
Internal relationships include project teams and research colleagues both in Denmark, Boston and around the globe. It is crucial that the holder of the role will have daily proactive collaboration with colleagues in the team, together with close colleagues based in Denmark. Communicates data externally when required. May oversee parts of Advanced Drug Delivery Hub operations and laboratory facilities. Individual Contributor: does not manage other employees or contingent workers.
- Advances research projects by demonstrating technical expertise, creativity, and scientific leadership in oral drug delivery, and broad knowledge of related disciplines.
- Analyzes complex data with high degree of sophistication, connecting disparate datasets to reach conclusions and set direction on experiments. Contributes strong scientific acumen to enable projects and advance the research agenda.
- Effectively communicates and collaborates across global sites and sets project strategy by providing leadership of cross-functional project teams. Represents the organization through external communication of impactful scientific research in the form of presentation at external conferences and publication in scientific journals and patents. May manage external collaborations.
- Maintains a deep understanding of theoretical knowledge and a connection to the external scientific community through continuous evaluation of relevant literature. Expands the capabilities of oral drug delivery sciences through the generation of new ideas, evaluation of oral drug deliver methodologies, and implementation of technologies that add value.
- Leads global, cross-functional experimental teams to achieve project goals. Provides significant mentorship and training of junior staff.
- Influences the research pipeline by proposing new projects that support the strategic agenda. Identifies gaps in technological capabilities and therapeutic areas and provides recommendations to guide the research agenda.
- Bachelor's Degree required. Degree within pharmaceutical sciences or related disciplines preferred.
- Doctoral degree with 6+ years’ post-doctoral and/or industry relevant experience, OR Master’s degree with 12+ years’ relevant experience or Bachelors with 18+ years’ relevant experience required can be considered
- Relevant required experience includes:
- Understanding and experience within oral drug delivery
- Understanding of the physiology of the gastrointestinal tract
- Experience of formulation-related processes (including, but not limited to, tableting, spray-drying, solid state characterisation)
- Demonstrated evidence (publications, patents etc., ) of innovation within novel drug delivery systems
- Experience with developing and optimising novel in vitro and in vivo models for testing of formulations/drug delivery systems
- Business understanding and cross-functional stakeholder management skills
- Track record in setting scientific direction and driving projects along the value chain
- First-hand experience with driving external innovation (e.g., academic collaborations, strategic partnerships etc.,)
- Preferred experience includes:
- Experience with working with new modalities (e.g., peptides, proteins, oligonucelotides etc.,)
- Experience with working with permeation enhancing-based excipients; Knowledge of active transport mechanisms for delivery across the gastrointestinal tract
- Insights into nanoparticles or other nano/micro-sized drug delivery systems
- Experience with a global organization and interculturally competent
- The ability to acquire new knowledge quickly and with little direction/oversite
- Good business understanding across the R&D value chain
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
Novo Nordisk requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Novo Nordisk will consider requests for reasonable accommodation.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert