Research Admin Program Manager (remote possible) - Grant Pre-Award
- City of Hope
- Duarte, CA
- $37.00 - $57.35 / hour
- Closing date
- Mar 28, 2023
- Life Sciences
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Organization Type
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Provides management of clinical department research programs (primarily the neuro and sarcoma disease teams via this open position), including translational and clinical research. Manages a large portfolio of clinical faculty, manages senior level research development meetings, and facilitates research activities that will result in external grant applications and high impact peer-reviewed publications. Candidate will have a high level of responsibility and autonomy and will work cooperatively with stake holders across the organization (research, medical, financial, regulatory, administrative, and others). Position requires excellent organizational and time management skills, and the ideal candidate will be self-motivated, show meticulous attention to details, and work well under pressure and in response to competing priorities and tight deadlines. The Program Manager is a key position within each clinical department and disease team, serving as the point of contact on academic research matters for program members and outside constituents.
- Brings grant opportunities to the attention of clinical personnel and facilitates external grant application, particularly multi-component proposals to the NIH, DOD, and CIRM.
- Manages clinical research operations via facilitating operational and administrative tasks and acting as program liaison for Sponsored Research, Clinical Trials Office, IRB, clinical faculty across the organization and Beckman Research Institute.
- Understands the administration of budgets expenses. Oversees expenditures within established limits. Understands and monitors budget activities and analyze variances.
- Manages operational and administrative tasks and acts as program manager for information sciences, research associates and research nurses by providing necessary documentation and effectively communicating data needs.
- Manages basic, clinical and/or translational research meetings and research retreats with relevant physicians, scientists and other research support staff by creating agendas, collecting and sharing appropriate information and reports and ensuring resulting action items are fulfilled.
- Brings grant opportunities to the attention of clinical personnel to initiate interest and facilitate application.
- Provides ongoing communication to Supervisor and Administration regarding program development, fulfillment of program goals and information that may impact fulfillment of goals and budgeted targets.
- Coordinates program's participation in COH internal education programs such as Tumor Board and external educational programs such as CME conferences by drafting agendas, submitting appropriate information to internal and external offices.
- Collects, maintains and tracks relevant measures of program success - clinical trial accrual, grants and manuscripts awarded/submitted, patient volume, finances, quality outcomes etc. in collaboration with other members (disease program support groups/CTO clusters) of relevant programs.
- Maintains current knowledge of all program activities and measures to effectively communicate program status and needs to COH leadership.
- Participates in strategic planning for Program regarding operations, patient care services, research, space and all resource needs in support of program development.
- Works closely with Program Leader(s) in identifying and prioritizing the Programs' administrative, operational, research and resource needs. Create project plans to outline needs and strategies for fulfilling needs.
- Works with the Philanthropy office to support program fundraising efforts by providing relevant and timely information about program success and providing assistance in developing and reviewing donor proposals and reports.
- Works with Marketing Office to support development of annual marketing plan and advertising plan by providing relevant and timely information about program successes or compelling stories. Maintains and updates program specific website in coordination with web marketing team.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 3+ years progressively responsible for business management, project and program management within an academic or research environment, including experience in budget management.
- Master's Degree
- Knowledge about federal grant application, processing and management.
- Demonstrates an ability to influence others and work collaboratively to ensure projects are completely in timely fashion.
- Demonstrates an ability to work well with individuals at various levels in organization.
- Maintains current knowledge and awareness of organizational and regulatory standards, policies and procedures.
- Participates in a collaborative, empowered work environment as demonstrated through teamwork.
- Effectively communicates with all customers and team members to meet organizational goals to provide customer satisfaction.
- Maintains current knowledge and skills through attendance and participation in organizational and program meetings and continuing education activities.
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility by appropriate and timely use of organizational resources.
- Actively participates in performance improvement activities through data collection and/or participation in corrective action plans to continuously improve service delivery.
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Computer, fax, peripheral computer equipment, calculator, copier
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Occasional pressure due to deadlines requirements
- Occasional pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries
- Subject to regularly changing priorities and work assignments
- Pressure due to multiple interruptions
- Tobacco-free environment
- Light physical effort (lift/carry up to 10 lbs.)
- Occasional standing/walking
- Frequently works at PC involving focused concentration
- Works at computer task involving hand/wrist
- Reviews written materials requiring high degree of mental/visual concentration
The estimated pay scale represents the typical [salary/hourly] range City of Hope reasonably expects to pay for this position, with offers determined based on several factors which may include, but not be limited to, the candidate's experience, expertise, skills, education, job scope, training, internal equity, geography/market, etc. This pay scale is subject to change from time to time.
As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert