Research Associate II - Organic Chemist
- City of Hope
- Duarte, CA
- $31.00 - $48.05 / hour
- Closing date
- Apr 21, 2023
- Life Sciences
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Organization Type
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes, and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds, and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
The Hickey lab has an exciting opportunity for a motivated Research Associate II scientist to work as part of a small team focused on discovery and development of small molecule drugs.
- Carry out multi-step synthesis of small molecules, utilizing modern automated purification (such as Flash Chromatography system) and analytical equipment.
- Understand the goals and strategies of the project team and, as part of the synthesis team, employ mostly enabled routes to synthesize chemistry targets within a project
- Identifying and solving synthetic issues to drive highest quality compound production
- Engage in scientific discussions within the assigned project team; prepare and present research results in chemistry in frequent updates to the project leader and internal project team; Collaborate with scientific teams across the City of Hope National Medical Center
- Maintain a clean and safe lab environment strictly following all EHS policies
- Follow all policies for record keeping, data integrity, and compliance as well as any client-specific requirements
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor's degree in Synthetic Chemistry or other related field with 2 years of experience or Master's with 1 year of experience is required. Laboratory experience as an organic chemist is required.
- Ability to independently carry out small molecule synthesis in a standard chemistry laboratory
- Skilled in common small organic molecule purification techniques including different type of chromatography as well as characterization techniques of organic compounds (especially NMR and mass spectroscopy)
As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
- For more information on Dr. Robert Hickeys' research please visit here
The estimated pay scale represents the typical [salary/hourly] range City of Hope reasonably expects to pay for this position, with offers determined based on several factors which may include, but not be limited to, the candidate's experience, expertise, skills, education, job scope, training, internal equity, geography/market, etc. This pay scale is subject to change from time to time.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert