Assistant/Associate Professor and Fruit Extension Specialist
- University of Tennessee - Plant Sciences Department
- Knoxville, Tennessee
- Salary and rank (Assistant/Associate) will be commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Closing date
- Mar 26, 2023
- Life Sciences, Agricultural Science, Botany/Plant Science
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Job Type
- Organization Type
POSITION: Assistant/Associate Professor and Fruit Extension Specialist: 12-month, tenure-track position. 100% Extension responsibilities.
LOCATION: Department of Plant Sciences, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee
EFFECTIVE DATE: Screening of applicants' credentials will begin in March 2023 and will continue until the position is filled.
The successful candidate will establish a nationally recognized Extension and applied research program directed toward solving grower issues and improving current and alternative fruit production systems. This person will provide leadership for a statewide fruit Extension program while interacting and working cooperatively with Extension professionals, scientists in the Institute of Agriculture, other universities, government agencies and private companies. Extension and applied research efforts will support current and emerging fruit production systems within Tennessee and outside of the state, including but not limited to temperate fruit physiology, variety and rootstock trials, training and pruning, propagation, nutrition, and postharvest handling.
The successful candidate will also be expected to:
· Coordinate training for Extension agents to enhance technical knowledge and understanding of fruit crops;
· Lead educational programs for knowledge and understanding of fruits;
· Conduct appropriate applied research to support the educational programs;
· Acquire extramural funding to support, develop, and enhance the applied research and educational programs;
· Actively participate in graduate student mentoring and training programs;
· Publish and present innovative Extension programs and applied research findings;
· Participate in service roles in the Department, Institute, University, and profession;
· Provide leadership for a program of activities that fosters an inclusive environment for all clientele regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, religion, or veteran status.
· Applicants must have a Ph.D. by date of hire in Horticulture, Plant Science, Pomology, or a related plant science discipline with training and experience in fruit production
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Proven ability to interact effectively with producers, Extension professionals, students, and faculty
· Extension or classroom teaching experience
· Post-doctoral research experience
· Demonstrated ability to secure extramural funding
The successful applicant's office and shared lab space will reside in the newly built Energy and Environmental Science Research Building, with expected completion by Dec. 31, 2023. Opportunities exist to conduct research on AgResearch and Education Centers, with greenhouse, high tunnel, and field research facilities located in Knoxville, Crossville, and other geographically distinct locations throughout the state. Support staff at the Centers aid in project set-up and maintenance. Three large, state-of-the-art greenhouse facilities that support faculty research and teaching are located on the University of Tennessee campus, totaling 22,000 square feet.
APPLY THROUGH: https://apply.interfolio.com/118821
Application materials must include:
1) Letter of interest (5 page maximum), which includes the applicant’s a) Extension philosophy and approach, b) research accomplishments and a description of a proposed applied research program in fruit crop production, and c) statement of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) that includes how the applicant’s research, Extension, and service could contribute to enhancing DEI;
2) Curriculum vita;
3) Unofficial copies of all college transcripts showing degrees conferred;
4) List of five professional references, including names, email addresses and phone numbers.
Position inquiries should be directed to:
Dr. Annette Wszelaki
Search Committee Chair
Department of Plant Sciences
2505 EJ Chapman Dr.
112 Plant Biotechnology Building
Knoxville, TN 37996 E-mail: email@example.com
SALARY AND RANK:
Salary and rank (Assistant/Associate) will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits include group medical insurance, dental insurance, group and individual life insurance, long-term disability insurance, workers’ compensation, retirement plan with UT contribution, sick leave, annual leave, paid holidays and administrative leave days, longevity pay after three years of service, unemployment compensation, educational discounts, reimbursement for official travel, and use of University Services.
The University of Tennessee Knoxville (UTK) is the state’s flagship research institution, a campus of choice for outstanding undergraduate and graduate students. As a land-grant university, it is committed to excellence in scholarship, learning and service and aims to enrich and elevate society. Knoxville is situated in a valley between the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Cumberland Plateau, areas of great beauty and among the most bio-diverse in the USA. Knoxville is a city of 200,000 offering many amenities of urban life. Knoxville has a beautiful and walkable downtown, active neighborhoods, and eclectic cultural activities, restaurants, and shopping. Trip Advisor recently named Knoxville a Top Ten Destination on the Rise. Knoxville is located within easy driving distance to Asheville, Atlanta, and Nashville. The Knoxville campus of the University of Tennessee is seeking candidates who have the ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the diversity and intercultural goals of the University
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert