Senior Scientist, Lentivirus Downstream Early Pipeline Development
- East Hanover, New Jersey, United States
- Closing date
- Mar 27, 2023
- Health Sciences, Drug Development
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Job Type
- Senior Scientist
- Organization Type
6000! This is the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. The Biologics Center (NBC) is accommodated within the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). NBC, in collaboration with the disease areas and technical expert groups, builds the future biologics therapy pipeline of Novartis through the discovery and creation of new antibody, protein, nucleic acid and virus-based molecules.
As the Senior Scientist, Upstream Early Pipeline Development, you will be execute early-stage process development with the focus on developability for early-stage lentivirus (LVV) gene therapy pipeline portfolio and new platform process for existing and novel LVV pseudotypes and cargo vectors.
What you’ll be doing: Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Develop and execute suspension small-scale shake flask and bioreactor-based cell culture processes for manufacturing of LVV gene therapy vectors across multiple preclinical programs and disease areas to ensure on time delivery.
• Collaboratively lead operational and strategic discussions within a global team.
• Design and execute experiments to drive innovative technology and platform evaluation for next generation cargo vectors and LVV envelope pseudotypes and work collaboratively with downstream process development and analytical development teams.
• Serve as interface with downstream, disease areas and platform/technology teams to drive early drug discovery from target selection and validation through lead compound selection and developability assessment
• Work collaboratively with cell line development, characterization and formulation colleagues to develop and optimized workflow for next generation LVV manufacture and analytics.
• Serve as an interface to transfer knowledge and work collaboratively with technical research & development team to advance pipeline programs into clinical phases.
• Provide technical support, training, and SME knowledge to assist with the development of junior associates.
• Prepare protocols, reports and provide high quality data and electronic notebook documentation.
This position will be located at the Cambridge, MA site and will not have the ability to be located remotely. This position will require 0% travel as defined by the business (domestic and/ or international).
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you’ll bring to the role:
• B.S. or M.S. in Biology, Biochemical Engineering, Bioprocessing, Pharmaceutical Sciences, or related technical field with 5+ years relevant experience, or PhD preferred with 0+ years’ experience.
• Prior experiences developing novel upstream process for recombinant proteins and antibodies or early-stage LVV or other viral vector manufacturing and/or process development.
• Industry experience preferred specifically in the fields of gene therapy and virology.
• Experience in operating adherent/suspension culture bioreactor, microbioreactor (e.g., ambr) and single-use small scale stirred-tank bioreactor experiments for mammalian cell culture.
• Experience with design of experiments (DoE).
• Effective communication including presentations to convey scientific concepts to research scientists and cross-functional collaborators.
• Individual team player who demonstrates technical proficiency and creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought. Ability to work in a matrix environment.
• Strong organization, analytical, and problem-solving skills with attention to details.
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $92,800-139,200 a year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
At Novartis, we are reimagining medicine.
Our purpose is to reimagine medicine to improve and extend people's lives. We use innovative science and technology to address some of society's most challenging healthcare issues. We discover and develop breakthrough treatments and find new ways to deliver them to as many people as possible.
Novartis has one of the industry’s most competitive pipelines. Many of these projects, which include new molecular entities as well as additional indications and different formulations for marketed products, are for medicines that could significantly advance treatment standards for patients worldwide.
We have entered an exciting era in health and biomedical innovation. Powered by our incredible colleagues, supported by our flexible-hybrid working model, new AI powered learning, personal growth and career platform and a refreshed commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion, we are well-poised to help lead this transformative moment for our industry and for ourselves. Join Us!
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert