Orthopaedic Trauma Research Assistant II or III
- Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine (HJF)
- Uniformed Services Unit 4301 Jones Bridge Road Bethesda, Maryland 20814-0000 United States Montgome
- Closing date
- Mar 25, 2023
- Other, Other
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Organization Type
Join the HJF Team!
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine (HJF) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing military medicine. We serve military, medical, academic and government clients by administering, managing and supporting preeminent scientific programs that benefit members of the armed forces and civilians alike. Since its founding in 1983, HJF has served as a vital link between the military medical community and its federal and private partners. HJF's support and administrative capabilities allow military medical researchers and clinicians to maintain their scientific focus and accomplish their research goals.
HJF is seeking a Orthopaedic Trauma Research Assistant II/III to support the research efforts of Dr. Christopher Dearth (https://scholar.usuhs.edu/en/persons/christopher-dearth) and Dr. Stephen Goldman (https://scholar.usuhs.edu/en/persons/stephen-goldman) of the DoD-VA Extremity Trauma & Amputation Center of Excellence (EACE) and the Department of Surgery at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) & Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) in Bethesda, Maryland. The EACE Regenerative Biosciences Laboratory conducts basic, translational, and clinical studies (i.e., bench to bedside) focused on the development and evaluation of next generation technologies for the treatment of traumatic extremity injuries. The overarching goal of these efforts is to generate the knowledge required to facilitate the translation of small molecules, orthobiologics, biomaterials, and cellular therapies into clinical practice.
The incumbent performs a variety of research related activities in collaboration with others. Provides laboratory and technical support to senior technical and professional staff. Solves problems of standard complexity in carrying out research projects in a laboratory environment. Utilizes molecular biology, cellular biology and animal models of musculoskeletal trauma.
- Performs a variety of laboratory-based research activities in support of ongoing projects including collection and organization of data. Maintains compliance with established laboratory safety and other procedures. Oversees and ensures the proper disposal of infectious and hazardous materials.
- Provides quality control, trouble shooting, and the maintenance of specialized reagents and equipment.
- Conducts critical review of procedures, determining where issues occurred and formulating plans to correct problems as they arise.
- Prepares technical reports, summaries, and protocols. Provides basic data analysis and interpretation. Assists in the preparation of manuscripts and data for presentations at scientific meetings and publication in journals.
- Maintains clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories, and logbooks. Performs data entry for research projects and may maintain data and database(s).
- Follows instructions and standard operating procedures to perform expected tasks. Trains and assists lower-level laboratory staff.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of complex laboratory Ability to follow basic instructions.
- Good communication, documentation, and analytical
- Documented experience using the following techniques:
- Fluorescence Microscopy
- Flow Cytometry
- Western Blots
- Cell & Tissue Culture
- Histological and Immunohistochemical staining
- Digital Image Analysis
- Documented experience of working with research animals
- Aseptic Technique
- Animal Handling and Injections
- Anesthetic Recovery
- Lifting: Requires lifting materials over 25 lbs
- This position will take place primarily in a laboratory setting.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Level two: Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience required.
- Level three: Minimum of 6-8 years’ experience required.
All HJF employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation will be required.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, education and credentials, a criminal background check, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check if applicable. Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert