Postdoctoral Scholar - Computational Biology
- Pennsylvania State University
- College of Medicine Hershey, PA
- See job description.
- Closing date
- Mar 23, 2023
- Life Sciences, Computational Biology
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Job Type
- Organization Type
Postdoctoral Scholar - Computational Biology
The Uzun Laboratory at the Penn State College of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Hershey, PA, is seeking a postdoctoral scholar in computational biology. Responsibilities for this position include data analysis, method development, scholarly activities and other related tasks.
1) Biomedical data analysis (40%): Statistical analysis of biomedical data by using existing methods and developing custom code scripts.
2) Bioinformatics method development (40%): Developing Bioinformatics frameworks using computational and statistical approaches for the problems that are not addressed adequately in the Biomedical domain.
3) Scholarly activities (10%): Generating academic outputs, such as presentations, grants, and manuscripts.
4) Related tasks (10%): Other related tasks assigned by the principal investigator.
Candidates holding a PhD degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics (in hand at time of hire) or a related field are eligible to apply. Life sciences (Biology, Genetics, Biochemistry, etc.) PhDs with computational experience are also eligible for this position. Bioinformatics experience is preferred but not required. International scholars and members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. PhD candidates who submitted their doctoral thesis and expecting to graduate no later than 2023 Summer, can also apply.
Prior hands-on experience in R and Unix/Linux shell scripting is required with demonstration in past projects.
The candidates are required to submit their electronic applications via PSU Career Portal. The following documents are required for the application to be processed:
1) Cover Letter (1 page): Must contain a brief description of background, career goals and how they are related with this position.
2) Reference List (1 page): Must contain information for at least 3 references. For each reference, the following information is to be provided: Name, title, institute, department, email address, phone number, relationship (advisor, co-advisor, collaborator, etc.). Should include the PhD advisor as one reference. If that's not possible, a short explanation must be provided for stating the reason (retirement, inaccessibility, etc.) for the exclusion, in this document.
3) CV (4 pages maximum): Must contain at least contact information, education, experience, publication list and skills.
4) Statement of Purpose (3 pages maximum): A detailed description of research and educational background, research interests and intentions and career plan. Must be composed of three sections :
4.1) Background: Expertise and skills gained.
4.2) Research Interests: Research intentions and goals for the postdoctoral role and afterwards.
4.3) Career Plan: Career goals and 5-year career plan.
This is a limited-term non-tenure line position funded for one year from date of hire, with possibility of refunding.
Employment will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University polices.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusive excellence that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusive excellence as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Staff/job/College-of-Medicine/Postdoctoral-Scholar---Computation-Biology_REQ_0000039061-1
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert