Senior Scientist - RNA Synthesis
- San Diego, California, United States
- Closing date
- Feb 26, 2023
- Health Sciences, Drug Development
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Job Type
- Senior Scientist
- Organization Type
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 21 years of NIBR - San Diego history!
The RNA Discovery Chemistry group at NIBR-SD is seeking a passionate, creative scientist to join our highly interdisciplinary team focused on the advancement of our RNAi Platform and Lead Development efforts through novel approaches towards a deeper mechanistic and/or structural understanding of RNAi. The successful candidate will join our RNA synthesis team and have a strong background in oligonucleotide chemistry/biochemistry through in-depth hands-on experience in the synthesis and chemical/biophysical characterization of oligonucleotides as well as their potential biological applications.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Work within our cross-functional RNA Synthesis team, perform oligonucleotide synthesis on oligonucleotide synthesizers, deprotection, purification by HPLC, and annealing of oligonucleotides as well as characterization of the synthesized oligonucleotides using LC-MS and other analytical techniques.
• Develop and optimize reaction conditions, characterize reaction impurities, troubleshoot in the synthesis and purification process, and determine the purity of synthesized compounds.
• Analyze and interpret data independently; organize and present data in a clear manner.
• Management of chemical, lab supply, and solvent inventories
• Contribute to the team’s knowledge through updating scientific literature and discussions.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you will bring to the role:
• MS in nucleic acid, synthetic organic, or medicinal chemistry with 2 years of industry experience with an emphasis on oligonucleotide synthesis OR BS in organic or related chemistry with 4 years of industry experience with an emphasis on oligonucleotide synthesis.
• Experience in solid-phase synthesis techniques is required. Hands-on experience with automated synthesizers is preferred. Examples may include Mermade6/12, Mermade 192, and/or AKTA oligonucleotide synthesizers.
• Ability to manage complexity and ambiguity in a highly matrixed work environment
• Excellent prioritization and organization skills.
• Ability to champion and advance creative concepts in a team setting
• Innovative, independent, and detail-oriented problem-solving skills
• Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively but to focus as needed
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $88,000 -132,000 /year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/22 through 12/31/22, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
At Novartis, we are reimagining medicine.
Our purpose is to reimagine medicine to improve and extend people's lives. We use innovative science and technology to address some of society's most challenging healthcare issues. We discover and develop breakthrough treatments and find new ways to deliver them to as many people as possible.
Novartis has one of the industry’s most competitive pipelines. Many of these projects, which include new molecular entities as well as additional indications and different formulations for marketed products, are for medicines that could significantly advance treatment standards for patients worldwide.
We have entered an exciting era in health and biomedical innovation. Powered by our incredible colleagues, supported by our flexible-hybrid working model, new AI powered learning, personal growth and career platform and a refreshed commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion, we are well-poised to help lead this transformative moment for our industry and for ourselves. Join Us!
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert