Research Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology - CVM
- Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
- Closing date
- Feb 1, 2023
- Life Sciences, Pharmacology, Health Sciences
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Job Type
- Research Scientist
- Organization Type
Cardio-metabolic disease is the leading cause of death worldwide, taking an estimated 17.9 million lives each year. Obesity not only directly contributes to risk factors such as dyslipidemia and type 2 diabetes but also leads to the development of cardiovascular disease mortality independent of other risk factors. The Cardiovascular and Metabolic (CVM) Disease Area at the Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (NIBR) is dedicated to the creation and development of innovative and transformative medicines to prevent and treat cardio-metabolic disease.
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist to join our in vivo pharmacology group to help discover new therapies for cardio-metabolic disease. In this role, you will be responsible for planning, executing, and analyzing in vivo pharmacology experiments in preclinical models of metabolic disease. You will be working in a highly matrixed, team-oriented, and collaborative environment.
The successful candidate is expected to perform and excel in the following areas:
• Assist in the design, development, characterization, implementation and validation of relevant preclinical models for identifying and profiling of metabolic targets
• Plan and perform in vivo pharmacology studies to evaluate metabolic treatment strategies including efficacy, PK/PD and mechanism of action analyses.
• Perform biochemical and/or histological analyses of samples
• Document, analyze and interpret experiments in a timely manner.
• Present results in lab and department meetings
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $80,000.00 and $100,000.00 per year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you will bring to the role:
• BS/MS in pharmacology, biochemistry, cell biology, or related field with 2+years of industry or academic experience; knowledge in the metabolic field is a plus
• Proficiency with in vivo procedures in rodents including multiple dose routes of administration (PO, IV, SC, IP), blood/tissue collection, necropsies
• Drug discovery experience is a plus
• Knowledge of biochemical assays (e.g., protein and gene expression) and/or histology is desirable
• Demonstrate ability to quickly learn and perform in new areas, implement new techniques and instrumentation, critical problem-solving, multi-tasking and good organization skills
• Meticulous laboratory approach, careful adherence to protocols and excellent lab notebook documentation
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
• Strong analytical and computer skills
• Highly motivated with a sense of urgency and flexibility
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Here you will:
• Join a team committed to bringing more of our medicines to more people, no matter where they are
• Work with the latest technologies
• Work with industry innovators on a regular basis
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
While Novartis does not require vaccination for Covid-19 or proof of a recent negative test result for Covid-19 at this time, employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere to and comply with customers’ (such as hospitals, physician offices, etc.) credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination. As required by applicable law, Novartis will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. This requirement is subject to applicable state and local laws and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions. Please send accommodation requests to [email protected] .
At Novartis, we are reimagining medicine.
Our purpose is to reimagine medicine to improve and extend people's lives. We use innovative science and technology to address some of society's most challenging healthcare issues. We discover and develop breakthrough treatments and find new ways to deliver them to as many people as possible.
Novartis has one of the industry’s most competitive pipelines. Many of these projects, which include new molecular entities as well as additional indications and different formulations for marketed products, are for medicines that could significantly advance treatment standards for patients worldwide.
We have entered an exciting era in health and biomedical innovation. Powered by our incredible colleagues, supported by our flexible-hybrid working model, new AI powered learning, personal growth and career platform and a refreshed commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion, we are well-poised to help lead this transformative moment for our industry and for ourselves. Join Us!
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert