1 in 5 men and 1 in 6 women worldwide develop cancer during their lifetime, and far too many will lose their battle. At Navigate we envision a disease-free world - our talented and passionate team is at the forefront of enabling drug development by using transformative science to deliver high quality, world class clinical biomarker solutions so we can one day realize that vision. Join us on our journey to turning innovative treatment ideas into reality to improve and extend patient lives across the globe. Navigate Biopharma, a fully owned subsidiary of Novartis, provides assay development, clinical trial testing, and companion diagnostics services to companies in the precision medicine field. At present, Navigate supports 100+ clinical trials from 30+ pharma, biotech, and diagnostic companies, including 8 of the top 15 oncology companies globally.
As an Associate Scientist at Navigate, you will perform routine testing under GCP/GLP/CLIA regulations to support clinical trial sample testing, and design and execute laboratory experiments and testing programs, evaluate test data, and prepare associated documentation and reports. While part of a highly collaborative team, you will be expected to exhibit independence in testing samples across multiple projects. Candidates must demonstrate critical thinking, initiative and clear communication during the performance of projects.
Your responsibilities: (includes, but not limited to)
• May design, create, execute and troubleshoot new procedures and assays
• Author and review technical documents including but not limited to assay work instruction
• Plan and execute laboratory experiments and testing of patient specimens
• Perform testing of patient specimens using multiplex fluorescence or chromogenic immunohistochemistry staining and digital image analysis methods following work instructions, SOPs and/or experimental design
• May work directly with external vendors to resolve reagent or equipment issues
• Perform quality control testing and ensure its acceptability
• May identify and troubleshoot problems that may adversely affect test performance/results
• Analyze data for trends and make recommendations to more senior scientific staff
This position will be located at our Carlsbad, CA site and will not have the ability to be located remotely. This position will require 0% travel as defined by the business (domestic and/ or international).
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you will bring to the role:
• M.S. with 0+ years’ experience in a science related field, preferably in technology, biology or similar field; B.S./B.A. with 5+ years relevant experience, or A.S. degree with minimum of 8+ relevant experience.
• Demonstrated understanding of, and ability to apply principles, concepts, practices and standards associated with analytical assay development/validation and/or sample testing in a laboratory setting.
• Demonstrated flexibility and willingness to learn new skills and core competences in immunohistochemistry and digital image analysis
• Meticulous attention to detail, proficient reasoning and problem-solving skills in experimental design, data analysis, verification, and interpretation
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, independently and in a team environment
• Critical thinking with excellent communication skills, written and oral
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $84,000-120,000 a year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network