The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
ICBA is seeking a Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation (CCAM) Team Leader to join the Sustainable Natural Resources Management (SNRM) unit to accelerate the transition of food and farming systems in marginal environments to be more climate resilient systems. ICBA’s CCAM leader will focus on leading the development and adoption of digital solutions for mitigation, adaptation, and disaster risk management. The CCAM Team Leader will be responsible for technical leadership and implementation of activities related to increasing people's resilience, places, and livelihoods in marginal environments. The CCAM Team Leader will also be responsible for oversight of staff implementing adaptation and mitigation focused activities and providing high-caliber technical vision.
The incumbent will receive general supervision from the SNRM unit head and the Chief Scientist while will have the opportunity to exercise independent judgment.
- Lead the research and technical vision on climate change adaptation and mitigation research and development to increase the resilience of people, places, and livelihoods in marginal environments.
- Manage the day-to-day technical and research activities providing direction, feedback, and support to ensure success.
- Review and synthesize global and local policies, programs, and measures relevant to climate change adaptation, mitigation, and risk.
- Contributing to the identification, development, and implementation of new strategic programming opportunities and partnerships in the area of climate change adaptation and sustainable livelihoods.
- Contribute to strategic research within the CCAM team within own areas of expertise, as well as facilitate partner development and resource mobilization.
- Providing timely and quality information and technical advice on sources of funds, policies, priorities, and activities – including the Global Environment Facility funds, the Green Climate Fund, other multilateral donors, bilateral donors, and foundations
- Provide guidance and ensure that all donor reporting requirements are met to high quality standards in an efficient and timely manner
- Facilitate the effective coordination and communication between technical teams within and between organizations
- Provide regular written/oral program progress updates, as requested
- Participate in relevant organizational and external Communities of Practice
- Perform other duties
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in managing international research for development activities in water and land use, agriculture, and/or disaster risk reduction sectors.
- A minimum of 3 years of this experience should be in climate change adaptation and mitigation through innovative digital technologies, including models and software
- A Ph.D. level degree in climate change mitigation, ecosystem services, international development, natural resource economics, agriculture, hydrology, or other related field.
- An extensive senior level expertise in water, natural resources, land use, agriculture, disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation, and mitigation, or other related areas.
- Fluency in English and strong communication skills.
- Good knowledge of written and spoken Arabic is an asset.
- Strong preference for work experience in MENA and Sub-Sahara Africa.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and proven ability to work collaborative in a cross-cultural context.
- Teamwork and leadership skills are essential.