4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 1000+ peer-reviewed articles
We are seeking an exceptionally talented and highly motivated synthetic chemist to join our Discovery Chemistry department. As a new Principal Scientist, you will contribute to the identification of the next wave of clinical candidates and FDA approved drugs from Novartis. You will be part of a multidisciplinary team that advances the boundaries of science, and you will productively and creatively apply synthetic organic expertise and techniques to shape the directions of our enabling technologies and innovative drug discovery projects. In addition, you will influence other department activities, solve problems and advise others on their key decision-making experiments.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Apply expertise in synthetic organic chemistry to advance new drug discovery approaches and projects at all stages
• Independently evaluate the scientific potential of new methodologies, technologies and concepts, and expand their appropriate application across the department/institute
• Work independently in a highly dynamic environment and effectively collaborate with colleagues from other scientific disciplines, including medicinal chemistry, molecular modeling, chemical biology, structural biology, biophysics, biochemistry, in vitro/in-vivo metabolism and pharmacokinetics, pharmacology and disease biology to advance drug discovery projects
• Perform experimental work including the design and execution of synthetic schemes to access key target molecules or intermediates
• Critically analyze chemical and biological data in order to design new chemical structures or approaches that address key issues for the project
• Maintain an exceptional, state of the art, expertise in synthetic organic chemistry; evaluate and implement new technologies, techniques, reactions and concepts; publish and lecture at internal and external meetings
Vaccine Policy: While Novartis does not require vaccination at this time, for certain Novartis sites in the US all associates and candidates may be required to either upload an image of their COVID-19 vaccine card demonstrating proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 (or other similar evidence of vaccination) or proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken by the associate or candidate within the past seven days to enter any of our sites and/or customer office or healthcare facility, as well as prior to participating in other work related off-site meetings. Employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere to and comply with customers’ (such as hospitals, physician offices, etc.) credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination.
As required by applicable law, Novartis will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. This requirement is subject to applicable state and local laws and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions. Please send accommodation requests to [email protected] .
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you will bring to the role:
• PhD in synthetic organic chemistry or closely related discipline
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to present rationale, key data, issues and accomplishments to different audiences
• Strong expertise in the field of organic synthesis with hands on experience with a wide range of modern synthetic transformations
• Strong commitment to experimental work
• Scientific curiosity, creativity and dedication to resiliently pursue novel concepts and technologies
Strong publication record demonstrating ability to conduct research projects independently and collaboratively
• Innovative problem solving and expertise in reaction and drug properties optimizations
• 2+ years of postdoctoral and/or industrial experience in a synthetic chemistry environment highly preferred
• Working experience in oligonucleotide and/or antibody drug conjugate (ADC) in a matrixed team environment
• Project management experience
• Mentoring and leadership experience
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $112,000 and $169,000/year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/23 through 12/31/23, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network .