Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.What You Will Achieve
The incumbent will be a research scientist with expertise in manipulation and use of laboratory animals for the study of human pathogen infection and disease. This individual will support and assist colleagues through completion of animal studies for evaluation of the safety and preclinical efficacy of key vaccine candidates, requiring the use of an array of laboratory animals. The incumbent will assist in the design and conduct of experiments to quantify immune responses to candidate vaccines, as required in ABSL2 and ABSL3 facilities. In addition to high technical competence, the individual in this position understands and can articulate the principles that underlie technology and can provide technical guidance for future assignments. The incumbent will be required to support team members to drive the design and logistics for in vivo and in vitro studies, as well as take a hands-on role to support laboratory activities.How You Will Achieve It
- Animal Study Coordination: Organizing / coordinating with comparative medicine staff.
- Carry out animal procedures and tissue harvesting within high containment conditions (ABSL2 and ABSL3) to evaluate the immunogenicity and efficacy of vaccines during the course of human pathogen infection and disease.
- Assist in the development of assays or animal models required to support various vaccine projects.
- Write documentation of all work in electronic notebook as required.
- Support colleagues in the laboratory by performing routine laboratory duties that can include preparation of media, stocking of reagents, ordering supplies, processing samples. Work efficiently as part of a team in a matrixed environment
- Demonstrated proficiency in proper handling of infectious viral isolates and samples; mastery of aseptic technique and familiarity with BSL2/3 and ABSL2/3 safety practices for working in the laboratory.
- Where applicable, perform job responsibilities in compliance with cGMP/GLP and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and an additional 2-3 years relevant laboratory and/or vivarium experience required.
- Technical experience in developing and executing animal models of infectious disease and immunological assays required.
- Ability to work semi-independently, adept at using personal computers - including word processing, spreadsheets, PRISM, PowerPoint and other relevant scientific software, motivated, flexible and willing to learn new skill sets.
- Interest in learning and developing new techniques and skills.
- Master's degree in a relevant scientific discipline.
- BSL3/ABSL3 proficiency/experience preferred.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Sitting, standing, walking, and repetitive procedures, light lifting
- Ability to analyze data and design experiments and present scientific concepts to colleagues.
- Respiratory testing for use of powered air purifying respirator (PAPR).
- Local travel, adherence to all safe work practices and working within defined biosafety and containment requirements.
- Flexibility to work early/late hours/weekends if needed.
Work Location Assignment:On Premise
Other Job Details:
Eligible for relocation package
Eligible for employee referral bonus
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development