The Sr. Medical Director, Global RSV Older Adult Medical Affairs (MA) will contribute to the productivity of Pfizer Global Respiratory Vaccines and Antivirals by contributing as part of a two person team that will lead medical affairs (MA) activities for Pfizer's experimental RSV vaccine for older adults. This vaccine has completed an initial phase 3 study and applications for licensure are being filed globally. The primary role of MA within Pfizer Vaccines is to lead data dissemination activities such in cross-functional team meetings; development of materials for internal dissemination and training; contribution to regulatory documents; publication of data summaries and position statements; organization of advisory boards with external experts; interacting with external experts at global congresses; organizing and providing oversight to systematic literature reviews; and contributing where appropriate to Pfizer studies led by Scientific Affairs colleagues within the Global Respiratory Vaccines and Antivirals Group. As an MD position, the position also will support 1) assessment and review of safety data from clinical trials and vaccine use once vaccine is introduced into national programs; 2) review and interpretation of clinical outcome data from studies undertaken by the medical team.
A large focus for the Global RSV Older Adult MA position will be to provide strategic input into cross-functional discussions and activities. This input will represent an integrated and aligned global medical position on scientific and medical issues relevant for RSV OA. The position also will contribute to a detailed strategy for RSV Older Adult vaccine launch, recommendations, and uptake. This will be achieved by working with different stakeholders including internally (research and development, commercial, regulatory, patient & health impact, value and evidence, public affairs at the global level and country medical colleagues at the local level) and externally (academia, government agencies, vaccine technical committees, non-profit organizations, etc.).
While the primary focus of this position is on RSV Vaccine among the older adult population globally, the position also will work on several other initiatives from a medical affairs position. These include and RSV antiviral currently in clinical development and a Group B Streptococcus (GBS) vaccine (while this vaccine is designed primarily for maternal immunization, Pfizer is exploring the possibility of using it for an older adult population). Additionally, Pfizer will study this vaccine in the 2-18 yo pediatric population and this position may contribute to this effort.
To achieve the above, the candidate should have core scientific knowledge (ideally in vaccines, RSV, or both), training in epidemiology, documented scientific success as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications and congress presentations, high level communication skills, ability to take a substantial amount of complex data and communicate it at various levels, a broad network of peers, leadership ability, self-motivation, and ability to work in a highly matrixed group. ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead RSV OA vaccine MA activities, in partnership with the other member of this team
- Lead GBS OA vaccine MA activities, in partnership with the other member of this team.
- Lead RSV antiviral MA activities, in partnership with the other member of this team.
- If appropriate lead RSV vaccine MA activities for the 2-18 yo pediatric population
- Developstrategiesto support Regional and CountryMedicalAssetneeds.
- Create and deliver approved medical content for the above topics with a focus on RSV OA vaccine.
- Interpret and summarize scientific data on RSV vaccine (as well as GBS vaccine and RSV antivirals) for the older adult and older pediatric populations.
- Design and oversee systematic literature reviews of importance for RSV OA vaccine (these are generally implemented by external CROs)
- Publish data summaries and positions related to RSV OA vaccine
- Work within a matrixed, multi-disciplinary team to foster professional relationships which are aligned with medical objectives for RSV vaccine (and GBS vaccine and RSV antiviral)
- Enlarge the network of professionals, KOLs, and professional societies who are aware of and contribute to assessing RSV OA vaccine
- Contribute to scientific studies designed and overseen by Scientific Affairs colleagues (this will depend on qualifications and interest)
- Contribute to all aspects of product launch
- Development of an internal global strategy, including by country
- Vaccine technical committee (VTC) and government interactions
- Preparation of regulatory documents
- Studies needed for stronger labels, improved recommendations, or post-authorization commitments
- Global filing plan
- Medical and scientific content to internal documents such as promotional materials and training materials
- Organize and implement advisory boards
- BrandPlan Development:
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
This is a high-level position with substantial responsibility. Consequently, the candidate should have leadership experience and capabilities and the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively to create public health and scientific impact.
While this position is in MA, and thus focuses on data dissemination and not data generation, the candidate should have at least a master's degree in epidemiology or public health as the position will require daily interpretation and communication of scientific - primarily epidemiologic - data. Additionally, the candidate should have a medical doctor (MD) degree and research training in one or more of the following areas: infectious disease, public health, epidemiology, vaccinology, clinical development, or closely related field. Specific qualifications will include:
- MD degree
- Training or experience in infectious disease, public health, epidemiology, vaccinology, clinical development, or closely related field
- At least 5 years' experience in a field related to the position, including vaccines, RSV, or epidemiology
- At least 10 peer-reviewed manuscripts as first or last author.
- A network of peers in relevant fields
- Demonstrated ability to summarize and articulate complex scientific information for audiences of different levels of sophistication.
- Enthusiasm for focusing on communicating, rather than generating scientific data.
- Enthusiasm for learning and implementing the science and processes of regulatory filings.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including scientific writing skills
- Ability to work and lead independently
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed organization
- Strong inter-personal skills.
- Demonstrated strong work ethic, and proven track record of delivering high quality results within timelines and budgets.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Vaccine experience or RSV-specific expertise
- MA experience in a pharmaceutical organization
- Foreign language skills
- Knowledge of older adult lower respiratory tract epidemiology and science
- Knowledge of RSV and RSV vaccines is desirable but not required.
Other Job Details:
- Willingness to travel, both domestic and internationally up to 20 / 25%
Last Date to Apply for Job: January 27th, 2023
Additional Location Information: US; Global
Eligible for Relocation Package: No
The annual base salary for this position ranges from $246,400.00 to $394,800.00. In addition, this position offers an annual bonus with a target of 25.0% of the base salary and eligibility to participate in our share based long term incentive program. Benefits offered include a retirement savings plan, paid vacation, holiday and personal days, paid caregiver/parental and medical leave, and health benefits to include medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage in accordance with the terms and conditions of the applicable plans. Salary range does not apply to the Tampa, FL location.
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.