Technical Research & Development is seeking a highly motivated individual to join the discovery pharmaceutics function, Chemical and Pharmaceutical Profiling (CPP), and contribute to the development of discovery compounds. This successful candidate will join an energizing and collaborative research environment working as part of cross functional drug discovery teams in providing a developability assessment of new chemical entities
The ideal candidate must be capable of working independently to execute pre-formulation activities for drug candidates. As such, strong competency in physical pharmacy, preclinical formulation development and biopharmaceutics is required to efficiently function in this role and in understanding the physicochemical properties of new chemical entities and implementing formulation strategies to maximize the exposure in preclinical in vivo studies.
The candidate must demonstrate and foster strong team spirit and promote knowledge exchange within and between teams. Furthermore, the candidate should be able to proactively manage the interactions of project related activities between CPP and other departments such as research, and pharmaceutical development. The candidate must ensure alignment with other departments and functions and 3rd parties, as appropriate. In order to accomplish this, the role requires timely communication of overall project information to the appropriate management level via oral and written communication and ensuring that the project team objectives are in alignment with functional objectives.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Design and develop stage appropriate, fit-for-purpose preclinical formulations. This includes development of both oral and parenteral formulations on a small scale
• Screening of solubility and dissolution rate enhancing formulations such as nanosuspensions and amorphous solid dispersions
• Assessment of the performance of prototype formulations using in vitro tests such as dissolution, precipitation behavior, and stability
• Preparation of formulations for use in preclinical in vivo studies and authoring protocols describing preparation of formulations for use at internal and external formulation labs
• Basic drug substance characterization by techniques such as XRPD, DSC and TGA, DVS, PLM and UPLC. Assessment of the chemical and physical properties of small molecules, such as solubility, dissolution, particle size and chemical stability
• Routine lab support such as buffer and mobile phase preparation, pH meter calibration, and basic troubleshooting of lab equipment. Shipping and receiving of samples between other Novartis and external sites.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you'll bring to the role:
• College Degree in a scientific discipline: BS with 3 years of experience, MS with 2 years of experience, or PhD with academic studies / post doc
• Practical experience in developing and preparing preclinical formulations
• Basic knowledge of physicochemical properties and their relationship to formulation development
• Hands on experience with a range of analytical methods used to assess compound properties
• The ability to manage multiple parallel activities and deliver results to agreed timelines
• Ability to work independently but with good communication skills
• Knowledge of biopharmaceutics
• Prior experience communicating data and proposing further experimental work
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $97,600 and $146,400/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Accessibility and reasonable accommodations
The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.