The Jankowsky lab seeks a postdoctoral fellow to probe the basic biology of a lysosomal protein associated with dementia. Loss of this protein accelerates neuropathology and cognitive decline in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease. We now want to determine how distinct cell types contribute to this phenotype by studying primary neurons and microglia in vitro during exposure to disease-associated protein aggregates. We are also beginning to dissect basic structural motifs of this protein with the goal of clarifying its endogenous function at the lysosome. New team members will work with a team of students and postdocs tackling various aspects of lysosomal biology in aging and neurological disease. You can learn more about our lab and ongoing projects at our website: https://www.bcm.edu/research/labs-and-centers/faculty-labs/joanna-jankowsky-lab
The laboratory is located at the main Baylor College of Medicine campus which enjoys a vibrant and collegial scientific environment. BCM itself is located in Houston's Texas Medical Center, a 1,000-acre complex of over 50 independent institutions within easy access. Houston is the fourth largest city in the US and is home to a diverse international population. The city offers great restaurants, a warm climate, and affordable housing.Job Duties
- Designs and conducts research experiments.
- Selects and determines appropriate research procedures.
- Collects, compiles and analyzes data.
- Conducts literature searches and summarize information needed for particular studies.
- Documents and interprets results of experiments.
- Prepares experimental results for publication and oral presentation.
- MD or Ph.D. in Basic Science, Health Science, or a related field.
- No experience required.
- Strong background in molecular biology, primary cell culture, and fluorescence microscopy.
- Experience with tau biology and mouse models for tauopathy.
- Highly self-motivated with outstanding experimental skills.
- Able to think independently but also work well in a team.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
PD; CA; CH; SN