The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and Science Magazine seek a full time Associate or Senior Editor who will be responsible for soliciting and editing the weekly Perspectives section. We are looking for a scientist with broad knowledge in a range of scientific fields in the physical sciences, particularly in physics, with experience communicating technical material to a wide audience beyond disciplinary boundaries. We hope you can join us preferably in our Washington, DC, USA or Cambridge, UK offices.
Perspectives are a crucial part of Science magazine, providing our readers with accessible, broadly interesting, and authoritative updates on the most important recent scientific developments both in Science magazine and elsewhere.
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
What You’ll Do
- Invite and edit Perspectives on topics in the physical sciences (particularly physics) and shepherding them through the production process by working closely with authors and other editors
- Work with authors and the Science Visuals team to develop images and illustrations that convey the message of the Perspective
- Network with the scientific community through meetings and professional contacts and identify topics and authors for Perspectives
- Occasionally contribute to other parts of the magazine, such as special issues, book reviews, “In Science,” and “In Other Journals”
- A PhD and 1-5 years of postdoctoral research experience in a physical science (preferably in physics)
- Editorial experience is highly desirable. At the Senior Editor level, 5 years of experience selecting/editing research is required.
- Familiarity and ease with publishing and editing software (MS Office, Adobe Professional)
- Comprehensive knowledge of scientific research methods in order to discuss technical issues with authors
- Excellent outreach skills in order to identify and select the best authors for the journal
- Exceptional written, communication, and listening skills in order to communicate with authors and other editors
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by February 14, 2023. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
We have offices in Washington, DC and Cambridge, UK but are open to remote workers in select states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where AAAS has a business presence, you may not be eligible for this position. Please contact our Talent Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding your eligibility.
The anticipated initial rate of compensation for this position is $84,000 – $95,000 per year (for candidates hired in the US). AAAS currently provides the following benefits for this position: paid vacation leave, paid sick leave, paid holidays, health insurance, flexible spending account, dental insurance, life insurance, vision insurance, retirement benefits, short- and long-term disability, each subject to the terms of the applicable program. Additional benefits may apply.
Any actual offer of employment, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be made in the sole discretion of AAAS and will be based on a variety of factors, including years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant factors. AAAS reserves the right to amend or modify its employment benefits and compensation structure at any time
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. No visa sponsorship is available for this position.