The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and Science Robotics are seeking a full-time editor to join the Science Robotics editorial team, preferably in our Washington, DC, USA or Cambridge, UK offices. Science Robotics provides a much-needed forum for the latest technological advances and for the critical social, ethical and policy issues surrounding robotics. Bearing the quality hallmark of the Science family of journals, Science Robotics caters to both researchers and general stakeholders.
We are looking for a scientist or engineer with a keen interest in robotics research. Candidates should be familiar with the processes related to scientific publishing (i.e., peer review, data reproducibility, research/publishing ethics, etc). Preference will be given to candidates with strong writing and editing skills.
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
What You’ll Do
- Manage the evaluation, review, and editing of submitted research manuscripts across the full scope of robotics research
- Judge the scientific value of research and select reviewers for submitted manuscripts
- Discuss and make recommendations regarding manuscripts and reviewer comments with the editorial team and members of the Editorial and Advisory Boards
- Write short summaries of research papers for publication
- Guide authors on manuscript revisions and edit the manuscripts for scientific content and style
- Follow manuscripts through the production process to ensure material is published in a timely manner
- Foster relationships and communication with the scientific community through meetings, lab visits and professional contacts
- Represent Science Robotics at scientific meetings nationally and internationally
- Recruiting and commissioning scientific content to be published at the journal
- A Ph.D. or D. Eng. in a related field such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, artificial intelligence, soft matter, bioengineering, and other areas related to robotics research
- Comprehensive knowledge of research methods used in robotics in order to discuss technical issues with authors
- Excellent outreach skills in order to effectively recruit top research papers to the journal
- Exceptional written, communication, and listening skills in order to communicate with authors and reviewers in evaluating, editing and modifying manuscripts
- Prior scientific editorial experience is not essential at the Associate level (at the Senior Editor level, 5 years of experience selecting/editing research is required)
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by February 14, 2023 . Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
We have offices in Washington, DC and Cambridge, UK but are open to remote workers in select states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where AAAS has a business presence, you may not be eligible for this position. Please contact our Talent Team at email@example.com with any questions regarding your eligibility.
The anticipated initial rate of compensation for this position is $84,000 – $86,000 per year (for candidates hired in the US). AAAS currently provides the following benefits for this position: paid vacation leave, paid sick leave, paid holidays, health insurance, flexible spending account, dental insurance, life insurance, vision insurance, retirement benefits, short- and long-term disability, each subject to the terms of the applicable program. Additional benefits may apply.
Any actual offer of employment, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be made in the sole discretion of AAAS and will be based on a variety of factors, including years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant factors. AAAS reserves the right to amend or modify its employment benefits and compensation structure at any time
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. No visa sponsorship is available for this position.