6000! This is the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on new technologies that have the potential to contribute to therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. The Biotherapeutic Engineering and Gene Therapy drives a diverse portfolio of modalities including therapeutic proteins, multi-specific antibodies, CAR-T, RNA therapeutics, AAV and lentiviral vectors. We work collaboratively with disease area groups to broaden the use of biologics in therapeutic applications.
We are looking for a passionate Research Scientist to join the team in Cambridge, MA. In this role, you will help to advance our diverse programs in NBC biologics pipeline and accelerate the discovery process. You will mainly work in lab to support all projects cross the portfolio in the protein engineering function by contributing to protein expression, purification, and characterization.
What you’ll be doing: Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Conduct protein expression, purification, and characterization; may perform functional characterization via cell assays.
• Implement experimental steps and existing lab techniques according to established laboratory protocols with input from senior lab members or manager.
• Summarize raw data, report experimental details, and provide basic data analysis.
• Interpret and present data and findings in internal project meetings.
• Maintain excellent notebook record and comply company documentation compliance.
• Support other research activities as needed.
This position will be located at the Cambridge, MA site and will not have the ability to be located remotely. This position will require 0% travel as defined by the business (domestic and/ or international).
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you’ll bring to the role:
• BS in biochemistry, molecular biology or related field with 2+ years or MS with 0+ years related experience in academia or industry.
• Knowledge with recombinant mammalian protein expression, including mammalian cell culture techniques
• Knowledge with protein purification techniques, such as affinity chromatography and SEC.
• Knowledge with protein characterization techniques, such as protein concentration measurement, SDS-PAGE, Western blot, and ELISA.
• Excellent team player with collaboration, communication, and interpersonal skills to work with cross functional teams
• Curious about drug discovery process and eager to learn.
• Detailed oriented and well organized.
• Experience with functional cell assays and FACS is a plus.
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
The pay range for this position (Research Scientist II) at commencement of employment is expected to be between $80,000 and $120,000/ year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/22 through 12/31/22, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.