At LifeArc, we want to hear from people who are as passionate as we are about making life science life changing that can improve patients’ lives.
A bit about the role:
Working within the new Translational Therapeutic Platforms function, an experienced and dynamic leader will support the Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology Team. This role will require both innovation and delivery to support the development and prosecution of small molecule and biopharmaceuticals to support LifeArc’s Science projects for individual Translational Challenges and/or the wider OneScience portfolio.
The new group will drive the characterisation and understanding of LifeArc’s new large and small molecule drug hits, leads and candidates, as such it will be a key contributor to the decision making and selection of our future therapeutics. Comprising a range of drug discovery skill sets, the new MCP group will span assay development and protein production, to the more detailed pharmacological understanding of drug on target.
This is a strategic leadership role that will impact the current and future LifeArc Science project portfolio for Translational Challenges, and wider portfolio through creating a culture of innovation and delivery that allows free-thinking that explores what is and could be possible to maximise our therapeutic impact for the benefit of patients.
This role is for a dynamic and ‘science focused leader’ to join LifeArc and lead a large team in a changing organisation that has a unique ability to impact the lives of patients. The candidate will coach and mentor a team, propose improvement and innovation of the platform (both internally and externally) and integrate themselves and their team into projects and challenges in order to influence project decision-making through data-driven pharmacological insight.
- Manges a diverse group of discovery scientists to produce key reagents, assay and data that supports drug discovery projects
- Contributes to the inception and design of new therapeutic projects, with a focus on the development of robust TPPs to identify highly developable assets for LifeArc
- Delivers robust pre-clinical data packages that enable understanding and progression of through discussions with licensing partners
- Integrates within scientific project teams (and the wider portfolio) in order apply deep understanding of biological processes and drug discovery to rapidly move projects and scientific challenges through preclinical research and development
- Applies proven people leadership and people development skills to coach, mentor and develop the Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology team of scientists focused on providing e.g., potency and molecular mechanism of action of drug candidates
- Provides strategic guidance, knowledge and direction to their own team and teams across the organisation
- Provides leadership to define and implement experimental plans in order to validate therapeutic hypotheses using cell-based disease-relevant models
- Scans the external landscape of scientific and technical capabilities with a view to identifying and bringing in house new ‘cutting edge’ capabilities that contribute to our technology-enabled projects and challenges
- Drives a culture of innovation across LifeArc, challenging approaches and the status quo, looking for new ways of working and opportunities that will advance our Science and Translational Challenges
- Oversees the analysis and interpretation of data and sets timelines to meet delivery deadlines, while maintaining a highly collaborative and fast-paced way of working
- Fosters new collaborations with the external scientific community, acting as an ambassador for LifeArc promoting, creating and maintaining strategic partnerships
- Supporting new business development opportunities
Education & experience required:
- Educated to BSc/MSc/PhD or equivalent
- Experience and track record in chemical biology
- Experience and track record of leading teams
- Extensive scientific or post-doctoral experience
- Track record of publications or patents that demonstrate the creation of novel solutions to complex problems
- Experience managing and resourcing multiple projects
- Experience of working in a matrix organisation
Skills & abilities:
- The role requires high quality data generation backed by a theoretical underpinning
- Able to thrive in an environment that is ambiguous, which also allows for free-thinking and innovation
- Resilient in the face of unfavourable outcomes.
- Ability fosters a high-functioning and collaborative team
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop individuals in the team and wider organisation
- Strong planning and attention to detail.
- Intellectual curiosity.
- Highly collaborative with internal and external stakeholders.
- Critical and analytical thinker, strong problem solver.
- Organised and meticulous.
- Detail orientated and accurate.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Ability to accurately follow directions.
- Able to communicate complex information - both verbal and written.
- Ability to influence and persuade others
At LifeArc, our ambition is to make life science life changing. We do this by advancing scientific discoveries beyond the lab, faster, so that they can shape the next generation of diagnostics, treatments, and cures.
Working at the cutting edge of translational science and as the early-stage translation specialists, we progress scientific discoveries on their journey to becoming a medicine, diagnostic or intervention that can improve patients’ lives. Our work begins by seeking out innovative science, then helping to develop this to a point where there is a clinical and commercial pathway for others to invest the time and money to take it further forward.
What we can offer you:
Salary will be determined by qualifications and experience along with other exceptional benefits. Because we understand everyone has different requirements, our flexible benefits allow you to choose those which are important to you. Our pension scheme offers employer contributions of up to 12%, private health insurance, and annual leave of 31 days PLUS bank holidays.
Join us, and you’ll have the scope to be creative and take measured risks. You’ll be rewarded for your curiosity, for working as one team, and for learning fast. And you’ll have everything you need to be your best every day.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people from minority ethnic backgrounds, for example, are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At LifeArc we are dedicated in building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so whatever your background or lived experience, if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. Our top priority is finding the best candidate and you may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
We all have potential. At LifeArc, you’ll discover what you can really do with it.