The Department of Biomedical Sciences in the recently established University of Houston Tilman J. Fertitta Family College of Medicine invites applications for a faculty position at any/open rank (Clinical Assistant, Associate or Full Professor) in the field of Neuroscience. This faculty member is expected to support the design and delivery of neuroscience content in an integrated, cross-disciplinary, active learning-based curriculum. This is primarily a teaching position. Applicants must have a doctoral degree with outstanding credentials in teaching neuroscience in an undergraduate medical education program or in a health professions educational setting in the United States. Currently, all faculty appointments in the College of Medicine are non-tenure track. The College of Medicine anticipates being able to make tenure track positions available for application by existing faculty in the future.
The University of Houston is a comprehensive, Carnegie Tier 1 public research university located in a park-like campus that is close to the Texas Medical Center and major energy companies, with over 45,000 students distributed across 16 different colleges including Nursing, Pharmacy, Optometry and Social Work and home to one of the most diverse student populations in the nation. As a location, Houston is the fourth largest city in the United States that has an internationally diverse population, first-rate recreational opportunities, excellent schools, and affordable housing.
The University of Houston is located in close proximity to the Texas Medical Center, which is home to The MD Anderson Cancer Center, UT Medical School, Michael E. DeBakey Veteran’s Administration Medical Center, and Baylor College of Medicine, among other institutions. This environment is rich in potential for numerous collaborative opportunities.
Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching interests and experience, recent students’ evaluations of the applicant’s teaching (if available), research interests, and names and contact information of three professional references through the University of Houston’s Human Resources jobs portal: https://uh.edu/human-resources/https://uh.edu/human-resources/careers/
- Develop and teach the integrated neuroscience curriculum to undergraduate medical students, utilizing traditional, interactive, and active learning/flipped modalities
- Develop and deliver a horizontally and vertically integrated pre-clerkship curriculum with faculty teams
- Develop both formative and summative assessments for neuroscience and integrated biomedical sciences content
- Serve as co-director for at least one pre-clerkship, organ systems-based course
- Participate in accreditation activities
- Supervise student scholarly projects and serve as an advisor to medical students
- Participate in the interview and selection process of College of Medicine (COM) faculty and students
- Pursue research and produce scholarly works
- Hold membership on College of Medicine and University committees
The University of Houston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. Minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Additionally, the University prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
- Doctoral degree, PhD, M.D., DO, or DVM terminal degree. (Ph.D. must be in a neuroscience-related field; M.D. candidates without a Ph.D. must have additional credentials related to advanced scientific training and scholarship in a neuroscience discipline)
- Evidence of scholarly experience and productivity
- Commitment to innovative approaches to education and learning
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity
- Experience in teaching neuroscience within an academic environment, preferably in a medical school, with experience in leading a teaching team
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience using different teaching methods which might include case-based learning, ‘flipped classroom’, problem-based learning (PBL), interactive large group presentation, audience response systems, curriculum delivery systems and proficiency in exam item writing
- Experience with student mentoring and advising
- Experience with curricular and instructional design
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in complex interdisciplinary and interprofessional settings
Notes to Applicant: Official transcripts are required for a faculty appointment and will be requested upon selection of the final candidate. All positions at the university are security sensitive and will require a criminal history check.
Required Attachments by Candidate: Curriculum Vitae, Teaching Philosophy or Statement, Research Statement, Evidence of Effective Teaching
The University of Houston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. Minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Additionally, the University prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.