Director - Data Science and Comp Biology
- San Diego, California, United States
- Closing date
- Dec 15, 2022
- Life Sciences, Biology, Physical Sciences, Information Technology
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Job Type
- Organization Type
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 21 years of NIBR - San Diego history!
The Novartis Institute of Biomedical Research (NIBR) in San Diego is seeking an innovative scientist to lead the Data Science and Computational Biology unit within the NIBR Biologics Centre (NBC). The successful candidate will be an experienced leader in the field of data science and its application to biomedical research and will work within multidisciplinary teams to build and shape computational and machine learning infrastructures with application to the design of state-of-the-art biotherapeutics.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Lead a group of data science and computational biologists defining goals, directions and coordinating activities across global multi-disciplinary drug discovery teams.
• Evaluate, implement, and develop artificial intelligence solutions using in-house and public datasets to improve design and property prediction of novel biologics drug candidates.
• Build strategies and tools within the local and global digital infrastructures for data management and acquisition workflows for future data science applications.
• Communicate research results via internal and external presentations, scientific publications and/or project reports.
• Keep abreast of external developments in data science and bioinformatics and bring awareness to their application across the spectrum of drug discovery challenges.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you’ll bring to the role:
• Ph.D. with 12+ years of work experience in Data Science, Data Engineering, Machine Learning, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics or a related field preferably in an industrial setting.
• Involvement leading and coordinating a computational data science/engineering group with core duties of providing drug discovery support.
• Know-how and experience of technologies associated with the pre-clinical drug discovery process.
• Proven track record in the application of Artificial Intelligence techniques to accelerate pre-clinical drug discovery.
• Proficiency in scripting (preferably Python) in conjunction with established deep learning libraries such as PyTorch and TensorFlow.
• Fluency in Linux within high-performance computing and cloud-based computing environments.
• Experience in modern Machine Learning (ML) macromolecular structure prediction.
• Demonstrated abilities in exploratory data analysis, hyperparameter tuning and model selection for ML/DL applications focusing on protein structure, bioinformatics or related computational biology efforts.
• Hands-on ability employing major ML/DL models such as gradient boosting trees, DNNs, CNNS, VAE, BERT etc.
• Strong communication, teamwork and leadership skills
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you are given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you are empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges surround you.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $212,000 - $318,000/ year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/22 through 12/31/22, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
At Novartis, we are reimagining medicine.
Our purpose is to reimagine medicine to improve and extend people's lives. We use innovative science and technology to address some of society's most challenging healthcare issues. We discover and develop breakthrough treatments and find new ways to deliver them to as many people as possible.
Novartis has one of the industry’s most competitive pipelines. Many of these projects, which include new molecular entities as well as additional indications and different formulations for marketed products, are for medicines that could significantly advance treatment standards for patients worldwide.
We have entered an exciting era in health and biomedical innovation. Powered by our incredible colleagues, supported by our flexible-hybrid working model, new AI powered learning, personal growth and career platform and a refreshed commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion, we are well-poised to help lead this transformative moment for our industry and for ourselves. Join Us!
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert