That’s the number of proprietary quantitative activity measurements available for data mining and modeling. As a member of our Computer-Aided Drug Discovery (CADD) team in Emeryville, you will be able to leverage that knowledgebase, plus the knowledgebase of proprietary structural and pharmacological target information, to discover transformative drug candidates.
If this sounds intriguing, read on!
At the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR), we value your ideas, personal growth, and career aspirations. You will have opportunities to explore the power of cutting-edge science and technology (e.g., cryoEM, VR, high performance compute environment) in an environment that truly values multidisciplinary collaborations. We are a highly-regarded research group that values engagement in the wider scientific community. In order to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges, you will be empowered to take smart risks in an unbossed way, using your creativity and resourcefulness.
We are seeking a unique computational scientist to complement our team, operating in an interdisciplinary and tightly integrated site with local and global responsibilities. As part of the Emeryville Protein Interactomics Center, we contribute to drug discovery and technology developments across all research sites, disease areas, and technology platforms. We are also a strong local partner to the Novartis Institutes for Tropical Diseases, contributing to a pipeline of medicines for major global health challenges. In all our endeavors, we build on NIBR’s vast knowledgebase and the partnership and expertise of over 5,000 scientists with a huge variety of expert skills and a strong dedication to innovation.
The role is based out of our Bay Area location (Emeryville), with a hybrid work model (office/home).
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Develop and apply innovative computational approaches to predict biological activity profiles of small molecules using machine learning and free energy approaches
• Generate 3D structural understanding of the mechanism of action for novel ligands using advanced modeling and dynamics simulations in close collaboration with experimental scientists
• Initiate drug discovery efforts by proposing novel targets / modalities and executing advanced in silico hit generation methodologies
• Drive compound optimization cycles in multi-objective fashion to explore an expanding chemical universe with the aim to discover superior drug candidates
• Engage and influence interdisciplinary project teams for effective decision-making from target identification through candidate nomination
• Keep abreast of scientific developments and interact with internal and external scientists to integrate novel insights into computational approaches for drug discovery
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you’ll bring to the role:
• PhD in computational chemistry, computational biology, computational chemical biology, or related field; candidates with an experimentalist background and strong computational experience are also encouraged to apply.
• 3+ years of work experience applying computational methods to drug discovery
• Hands-on experience with proven impact in two or more of the following CADD approaches: QSAR/Machine-Learning, Virtual Screening & Triaging, Molecular Dynamics, Free Energy, Multi-Objective Optimization, Generative Chemistry
• Working knowledge of medicinal chemistry, cheminformatics, and structure-based drug discovery and proven ability to collaborate with others
• Strong presence in the scientific drug discovery community: peer-reviewed publications, presentations at well-recognized venues
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment-where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $124,00 - $186,000/ year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/22 through 12/31/22, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network