At Pfizer we deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. The Chemical Biology Team plays a vital role in this mission through enabling the discovery and molecular understanding of small-molecule therapeutics. In La Jolla, we are dedicated to the development of oncology agents that disrupt cancer biology or redirect the immune system against cancer cells. We are seeking scientific innovators with expertise in chemical biology, chemistry, cell biology, proteomics, and oncology.
As a Senior Scientist in Chemical Biology, your research will drive a deeper understanding of the mechanism of action of our molecules and cellular targets. Relevant methodologies include but are not limited to direct measurement of drug-target occupancy, small molecule-protein interactome analyses, target deconvolution and the identification of novel drug targets using chemical probes.
The successful candidate will work closely with individuals in Medicinal Chemistry, Protein Sciences/Structural Biology, Drug Safety and Oncology Biology groups to innovate and develop next-generation of therapies for the treatment of cancer.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and apply innovative chemical biology probes across the Pfizer Oncology small molecule drug discovery portfolio, with an emphasis on enabling direct measurement of drug-target occupancy to advance these projects
- Enable small molecule drug discovery projects in the portfolio through strong collaborations with chemists, biologists and protein scientists in La Jolla and partnerships with our East Coast Chemical Biology colleagues.
- Enhance the external reputation of Pfizer's Chemical Biology capabilities through publications and presentations at leading conferences.
- Drive innovation in all aspects of laboratory operations including sample preparation and data analysis/interpretation.
- Drive innovation and uptake of chemical biology methods across the Pfizer Oncology small molecule portfolio.
- PhD in chemical biology, proteomics, protein sciences/structural biology, biological sciences or a related field
- 4+ years of postdoctoral and/or industry R&D experience
- Proficiency in protein biochemistry techniques (examples may include subcellular fractionation, western blot, in-gel fluorescence) and cell culture
- Familiarity with synthetic organic chemistry, biorthogonal chemistry, site-selective protein modification, photoprobes and activity-based protein profiling (ABPP)
- A strong desire to increase knowledge of chemical probes and biorthogonal chemistry emerging in pharmaceutical drug discovery
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Examples of peer reviewed publications from scientific work to date
- Experience working in teams of scientists to deliver objectives
- 5+ years of postdoctoral and/or industry R&D experience
- Applied mass spectrometry based proteomics experience
- Experience with quantitative proteomics data analysis, including Proteome Discoverer, MaxQuant or equivalent
- Experience with heterobifunctional small molecules such as degraders/PROTACS
- Demonstrated knowledge in the discovery of small-molecule therapeutics and oncology
Relocation support available
Work Location Assignment:On Premise
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.
\nPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development